iPod Touch 4th Gen Or 5th Gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Goftrey, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Hey guys, quick question -

I can pick up a boxed 8gb 4th gen iPod Touch for £95 ($150).
    I can also wait for the base 32gb 5th gen to come out, wait for it to depreciate a little & then buy it for somewhere in the ball park of £160 ($260, 2nd hand).

I'm on a pretty tight budget - hence the reason why I'm looking at refurbs. 8gb is fine for my needs and have coped with it fine in the past. Would've loved to see them stick a 16gb for maybe £200 ($250) but hey-ho. I'm missing having an iPod or an iPhone & was just wondering if the new iPod Touch is worth the very hefty price tag?

Cheers.

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Buy what you can afford. If the 8Gb 4th gen works for you, then that's what you should get.

3. dchao macrumors 6502a

Get the 16GB 5th gen touch - the best value for your money. IMO, it should be available next year. By that time, the Apple Map should be more stable, and you get the Flyover mode on 5th gen touch too.

4. urban.spaceman macrumors member

Like Plutonius says, buy what you can afford - but also if you can wait a while I'd definitely get the 5th gen, and that's from a 4th gen owner. The iPod Touch is definitely worth the price tag, in my opinion. It's basically an iPhone without the phone and is therefore (for me) the better option. My sister has an iPhone 4S and pays at least 35 quid a month for an 18 month contract. my iPod does almost everything her iPhone does but without the phone. The only thing that let it down was a ***** camera, but the 5th gen has 5 megapixels and shoots 1080p - that's better than the iPhone 4 and below (i think; not sure). I use my iPod as my primary device. With wi-fi, you can videocall for free (FaceTime/Skype), send messages for free (iMessages/3rd party apps), call for free (Skype to Skype/others) or much cheaper. It has the same screen quality as the iPhone 5 and the battery life is superior.

I know 250 quid is a bit of a hike from the £160 you were looking around, but I would absolutely recommend saving up a bit more for it; plus if you wait a bit more Amazon usually knock a few bob off.

Hope this helps

5. herruberraschen macrumors newbie

herruberraschen

It is all dependent on you and what you will use it for. I just bought a new 4th gen 8GB this week. All it will do is sit in a dock/stereo and stream podcasts/music at night. I don't think I will update it to iOS6 either.

6. dchao macrumors 6502a

Agree.

The new 5th gen touch is more like a device with camera + game + email + web. Which explains why the bright color cases.

7. cnev3 macrumors 6502

You gotta really make sure that 8GB will be enough. You start out with 6.5GB of useable space. A lot of games take 500mb to over a gig. And as far as music goes, you will have to either have it streamed, or only have a select few albums or playlists stored on it.

If you think the space will be enough, than go for it. The 4th gen is still a good device, and the price is very good now that the 5th gen is on the way.

8. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Yes and the new iOS 6 will gobble up over 2GB of space.....

Too bad Apple didn't increase the capacity beyond 64GB....

9. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

... Huh? :confused: