iPod Touch 4th Gen or iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldie009, Aug 24, 2010.

?

iPod Touch 4th Gen OR iPhone 4

Poll closed Dec 2, 2010.
  1. iPod

12.5%
  2. iPhone

87.5%
  1. Goldie009 macrumors member

I had a bad start to this summer when I lost my 2nd Gen iPod Touch on the train. I never saw it again and have been waiting for a 4th Gen iPod touch to be released before upgrading...

In the meantime however I've had a play with the new iPhone 4 and totally love it. My current mobile phone is a Nokia N97 mini which is buggy and has a habit of crashing occasionally. I am contemplating the following two options to upgrade my 'portable devices'.

Option 1: Buy a new iPod touch when it comes out, keep the N97 mini and use that for simple internet browser and limited apps. But have the advantage of 64Gb touch for storing more movies / video on the go...

Option 2: Buy a Pay as you go iPhone 4 and insert a vodafone sim in it and use my contract with it... I limit myself to 32Gb storage but gain all the advantages of the iPhone 4. I can resync my movies at home every couple of days anyway.

My questions (eventually) then are as follows:

Is it worth paying extra for an iPhone 4 rather than a revamped iTouch (assuming the iTouch has front & back cameras and wifi facetime support...).

Would I find myself struggling with battery life? - I used to run with phone and iPod touch so that I need not worry about draining my phones battery by constantly watching movies or listening to music on the train to Uni.

Is it worth sticking with the 32Gb memory to gain the advantages of the iPhone over iTouch??

I appreciate this is mainly down to personal taste but it will be interesting to hear peoples opinions and I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the pro's and con's of each option...

Thanks Guys!!

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I would prefer just one device. Reason being I don't have worry if both devices are charged; also, in a fast paced world, it's easier to keep track of one device as opposed to two.

However, battery life would not be optimal.

3. Goldie009 thread starter macrumors member

Very fair point!! It was faffing about packing up on the train that caused me to loose the other one in the first place lol.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

iPhone 4 if you can justify the monthly bill. An iPod touch is no replacement for an iPhone. The ability to have an internet connection 100% of the time (assuming 3G service is good in your area) is priceless. Also, GPS opens up a whole other world of apps, including really good driving navigation apps, like MotionX Drive for a buck.

I had an iPhone 4, but couldn't justify the bill at the moment, so it went back. I now have an iPod touch. I wish I still had the iP4.

I'm also a fan of having as few devices as I can. But because of money, I now carry around three. lol. My Virgin Mobile prepaid flip-phone, my 160GB ipod classic (I like my whole library all the time_, and a 32GB iPod touch for entertainment purposes.

5. Goldie009 thread starter macrumors member

Again, good points on the 100% connectivity. I'm in the UK and as I already have a contract I will be paying the one off fee of £599 for the iPhone and then using my current contract SIM in it. So rather than a high contract price it's a high one off price that needs to be justified.

6. NYDiplomat macrumors regular

That is totally true and is one of my many reasons I'm getting an iphone. Right now I have My phone(blackberry tour), 64gig iTouch and a nano.

the blackberry is always charged everyday no problems. The nano is charged once in a while when I remember (I only use it in the gym and keep it in the gym bag) and often dies during my workout and the iTouch I rarely charge because I always forget and when I need it for long train rides it's dead.

Now when I get my iphone all my charging forgetfulness pretty much solves itself.