iPod touch 4th Gen Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by defunct32, Oct 3, 2013.

1. defunct32 macrumors regular

My nephew's iPod touch 4G is having some serious battery issue, a full charge takes about 2 hours but it takes only an hour of usage for the battery to drop from 100% to 20%. My nephew wanted to know if this is hardware/battery related or if a restore will fix it? If we chose to restore what's the proper procedure? We don't need to backup as my nephew doesn't have anything much on his iPod.

If even after a restore the battery doesn't improve then we shall assume it's the battery.

iPod touch 4th Gen on iOS 6.1.3.

2. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

With age batteries like in the iPod, loose the capacity to hold a charge.

The charging time for a true 100% charge is 3 to 4 hours. 2 hours is an 80% charge roughly, so try charging it longer.

3. defunct32 thread starter macrumors regular

The battery indicated a plug icon after two hours which means it was already fully charged. I think I'll just proceed with a restore as new anyway.

4. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

Ok. What's the age of the iPod Touch anyway?

5. defunct32 thread starter macrumors regular

He bought it in 2011. Could be the battery I guess...

6. Andy-UK macrumors newbie

I can recommend the Apple battery replacement service. It's not cheap but when I took in my iPod Nano for a replacement battery a couple of years ago they didn't just replace the battery, they gave me a complete replacement refurbished device so that famous Apple after-sale service really exists.