iPod touch 4th gen yellow, dim screen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by swingerofbirch, Mar 23, 2012.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I just bought an iPod touch for work, but I am rather disappointed with the screen. I had been using a 3rd generation iPod touch on loan from my work but had to return it, and it had a much brighter, whiter screen. This screen obviously is crisper in comparison, but it's washed out, dim (I have it set to 100% brightness), and no-question-about-it yellow tinted.

I had heard about this on the iPad but didn't realize it was an iPod touch issue--especially since this device has been out so long.

I called AppleCare today and the guy was amazingly casual and forthright. He said, "No one knows why they're all yellow. But I've got an iPhone 4S and the new iPad and they're both yellow. It's just how it is now."

So, is that the case? Does anyone have an iPod touch 4th generation that isn't yellow and dim?

I'm tempted to return this and buy a used 3rd gen, which sounds crazy, but I actually thought it had a better display (yes it had less pixels, but it looked "alive" vs. looking like a dim sepia photograph).

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

What you are seeing may in fact be the glue they use to bond the glass to the device. I had the same problem when I first bought my iPhone 4S. Give it a few days - if it doesn't clear up, take it in and ask for a replacement.

3. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I have heard about the glue explanation; although, I thought that was when new iPhones were being rushed from the factory at launch. I doubt Apple is rushing iPod touches out the door right now (and mine didn't ship from Shenzhen like some Apple products do when they're brand new).

I may take it into a Best Buy just to compare it to the models on display. Unfortunately, I don't have an Apple Store nearby.

I have to say it's a bit disappointing. I wasn't exactly prepared to be blown away because I had to buy it as a necessity for work, not something I was particularly desiring, but I did buy the more expensive 32 GB model. I wish it were something I could just get over and ignore, but it is undeniably yellow and dim. The 3rd generation I had been using (which had been heavily used: it was distributed to a new employee every month for the last couple of years) was much brighter, had more contrast, and was just more vivid and normal looking as far as screens go.