iPod touch 5 battery problems

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by birdie77, Aug 26, 2014.

1. birdie77 macrumors newbie

Apple just announced that it would replace some iphone 5 batteries for free due to a defect, and I think my iPod touch 5's battery might have the same defect. It shuts off completely while the battery hasn't even reached 20%, and when I turn it on again the battery's still at 50% but shuts off again in 5 minutes; shuts off randomly when I try to take photos; and drains extremely quickly. Basically, the battery is really wonky and has been acting this way since iOS 7.

Has anyone else been experiencing a similar issue?

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Sounds like a bad battery to me.
    You can restore it and set it up as a new iPod, but will likely have the exact same problem.

I bought a used iPhone 4s last year (still had Apple care on it) and it would turn off anywhere from 5% to 25% out of the blue totally dead. And wouldn't last more than about 4 hours. Replaced the battery, and it was good as new and went a day and a half on a charge.

As for replacing it, the iPhone was easy, but the iPod touch has a soldered in battery and isn't user replaceable at all, unless you like soldering guns and glue :rolleyes:

You can try taking it to Apple or getting in contact with their support and see what they can do for you. If it's out of warranty you'll probably have to spend the $80 or so to send it in and have them replace it. But they may help you out.

3. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I think they should replace these batteries too, my battery doesn't get more than 4 hours if that and it will tank from 85% to 20% in a matter of minutes, then when you close the apps it rebounds back up to something like 70%. Instead of just draining gradually like other devices, it just goes up and down. I am obviously not the first person to have this complaint. I don't even play games on it, that would probably drain it fully in an hour or less.

Had the same problems with the 4th gen touch which tells me apple batteries are just crap... Here's to the iPod touch 6th gen if it ever comes out... I only buy them cause I basically have no other alternatives since I can't afford an expensive smartphone with a 2,000 contract.

4. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

under warranty? Wouldn't you want them to replace your device instead? I think u get 3 more months of coverage.

I wouldn't want them to open up and change the battery only.

5. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Pretty sure Apple does just replace the whole devices with iPods. With the iPhone they will actually just change the battery and keep everything else (they did when I shipped my 4s to them anyway). But iPods are device replacements due to the soldered battery and it's a rather destructive and time consuming repair otherwise.

So basically you're paying for a trade in and a refurb iPod when you go through Apple. There are third party places that can replace batteries, but quality is a hit or a miss there.

6. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I am sure that most 3rd parties are using those $8-10 batteries I see for sale everywhere, heck sometimes $3-5 each yet they charge $60-80 to put the battery in. They are paying a couple bucks per battery and ripping off the consumer! If I wanted a battery change I might as well purchase a battery myself and mail the iPod to one of my friend who can solder, I have lots of friends who know how and would do the repair for free for me.

BUT I have no idea on the quality of the battery I hypothetically just bought, it could explode and it's almost guaranteed to last about half as long as the official apple battery despite claims of higher mah ..

So I just put my old device on eBay, sell it and say battery life isn't what it used to be and I am covered... I get money back and I can usually pay for a good chunk of a new device with the money, thus eliminating the risk of buying low quality batteries.

7. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

Yeah, I think it is a bad battery, get it replaced.