ipod touch 5 Price Reduction?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rob559, Oct 11, 2013.

1. rob559 macrumors newbie

Just speculating if there will be a price reduction on the ipod touch 5 if
    there is a price reduction on ipad mini come Oct. 22 announcement?
    Any thoughts?

Rob

2. sgreen314 macrumors newbie

I would guess not, for several reasons. There haven't been any rumors of an increase any time soon in specs in for the Touch, therefore no reason to drop prices for the current/"older" device when being replaced. On that note, Apple already changed/added colors for the Touch without upgrading internals. And, several months ago they released a lower priced version by removing a few features. Unless a new version has been kept super, super secret; or nobody cares enough to leak information about a new version, I don't see any reason for them to drop the price.

3. rob559 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I see your point. But if the "rumors" of a new ipad mini with retina that might be $379-$399 and keeping the current mini with a $299 price that alot of blog sites are Speculating, would Apple leave the "non updated" touch 5 gen at $299?
    I know thats alot of speculating .

Rob

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Not a chance :D.

5. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Why should there be a discount or price reduction?

6. rob559 thread starter macrumors newbie

IF non retina ipad mini goes to $299 and iPod touch stays at $299 I think that would kill the touch. But IF Apple might reduce the touch, then there will be a better chance at sales for the touch.

Rob

7. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

Why should it kill the touch? I still see there differences in the products. For one, I cannot put a iPad mini in to my trousers pocket or inside pocket of my jacket. This means different ways of "using" them. This alone is enough for me to differentiate them as separate products which do not canibalize each other. Of course, maybe it is only me...

8. Bear macrumors G3

Buy Apple refurbished and you'll save money. And if my iPod touch hadn't come in a refurbished box, I wouldn't have been able to tell it from new.

No, it's not just you. Also, the iPod Touch will of course fit in a shirt pocket.

9. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Some people may pay for the touch even if they had the same pricing point because it the touch is
    1) Smaller and more convenient
    2) Less easy to break
    3) Higher resolution

I do see your point though in that lowering the touch5 by at least $25 than the non-retina mini would boost sales.

10. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

there will be no price reduction and both Ipad mini /ipod touch will continue with 329 and 299 respectively.

Apple pricing stratigy is messed up since the release of ipad mini. Their gross profit is less than that of fullsized and ipad mini outsell fullsized resulted in apple less generated income yearly. If ipad mini 2 is release this year, it should be priced higher than 329 because apple seems to have commited ipod touch at 299 this year, and new color only update. Ipad mini 1 will not go to 299 to kill ipod touch segment.

11. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

the touch is a iphone w/o calling features.... the ipad doesn't compete with the iphone nor the itouch as they all serve a different market.

I defiantly think they should reduce the prices of the nano(more than the Fire HD tablet), the touch(more than most tablets), and the mini(even with retina you can get 2 kindles fires for 1 iPad mini)

Apple sooner or later will need to start having to compete with price if it wants to stay competitive. I think the ipod is kind of dead. Especially for the price. I see the competitors at being under $100 bucks because it is outdated tech.

It would be sweet to see the shuffle at $29, nano at $99, Touch $150,classic $150, ipod Mini $250-300, iPad 3/4 $350, iPad 5 $450.

It's apple and they want to make a 40% profit on everything so I don't see them lowering prices. Their prices seem very steep on ipods. I mean do you really need an ipod anymore? I can see why you'd pay the premium for an iMac or a Macbook or a iPad but for something to just play music I think they want too much money. I am aware it plays video but the screens too small compared with what you can get else where

12. oliversl macrumors 65816

You can only get a discount at amazon.com, like 10 or 15$ max.

13. Bear macrumors G3

More of a discount buying Apple refurbished. And since Amazon is now collecting sales tax in a lot of states, buying from Amazon doesn't even save the sales tax anymore.

14. oliversl macrumors 65816

Thats a great option too, refurbished in Apple.com. Always look at state sale taxes.

15. yinz macrumors 6502a

I agree with the others. I can't see this happening either..

16. AppleRobert macrumors 603

It is $15 to $20 off pretty frequently at BB or get a refurb through Apple. No new Touch announced or rumored so no major discount on the current 5th makes sense.

17. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

At least they should replace the joke, 16gb model that's not good for anything. Pitting A5 against rumored A7 with $30 difference sounds suicidal, btw.