Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Considering a purchase.

If you've upgraded from the iPod touch 4 to iPod touch 5 have you noticed a increase in wifi speed or reception?

Last edited:

riptide747

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
Considering a purchase.

If you've upgraded from the iPod touch 4 to iPod touch 5 have you noticed a increase in wifi speed or reception?

Yes, this is because it uses the A5 processor instead of the A4 used in the iPod Touch 4th generation. The Wi-Fi reception may not be any different, but the speed of the iPod itself has increased with the better processor and increased RAM.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Didn't have an iPod touch 4 - but do have an iPad 2 and my new iPod touch 5.

My touch 5 has much better reception and range than my iPad. An example: I have a 52-step staircase leading down a bluff on my property. Can't even see my house from the bottom of the staircase. My iPad's never picked up the signal that far from my house. My iPod shows three bars.

Am very pleased with it.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
As the owner of 4th and 5th generation iPod touches, I've noticed that the 5th generation has far better reception (and therefore speed in some cases). The 4th gen used to lose connection a few hundred meters away from a building with a router, but its sucessor has full bars in the same places.

I've also noticed Bluetooth never skips while the device is in my pocket or behind something, which beats the 4th gen.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Didn't have an iPod touch 4 - but do have an iPad 2 and my new iPod touch 5.

My touch 5 has much better reception and range than my iPad. An example: I have a 52-step staircase leading down a bluff on my property. Can't even see my house from the bottom of the staircase. My iPad's never picked up the signal that far from my house. My iPod shows three bars.

Am very pleased with it.

great to hear. my brother had an ipod touch 4 and reception was bad. but the ipad 2 had great wifi.

As the owner of 4th and 5th generation iPod touches, I've noticed that the 5th generation has far better reception (and therefore speed in some cases). The 4th gen used to lose connection a few hundred meters away from a building with a router, but its sucessor has full bars in the same places.

I've also noticed Bluetooth never skips while the device is in my pocket or behind something, which beats the 4th gen.

good stuff - thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.