Ipod Touch 50$ cheaper then apple at Best buy ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Star Destroyer, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

How can this happen? Best Buy is selling a 16gb iPod Touch for 359.99 regular 369.99, and an 8gb Touch for 279.99, while the 32gb is regular price...

How can Best Buy offer a regular price of 50$ off apples? but only on certain items...

Also they now call the updated Touch's the 'V2' model. Because its stock with the new apps... i though that was weird..

But yea, how can this be!?

2. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

They are on sale because those most likely don't have the apps. Circuit City also has them cheaper and they also have the ones with the apps for $389, which is $10 cheaper which is what most stores put iPods at. So I'm like 100% sure that its the apps because most likely, the model number of the one that is $50 off ends with /A. The new ones end with /B. It's a new software because of the apps. The pictures of those two should be different too, one without the apps and one with the apps.

BTW, when I saw apps I mean the iPhone apps like Mail, Stocks, Weather, etc.

Everyone is trying to sell the outdated iPods without the apps so they can sell the new revised ones. That's why they are doing it. It's like I got my MacBook at BestBuy $200 off because they were selling the ones with Leopard pre-installed and the old ones had the drop-in disk. It was worth updating it yourself and saving $200! :D

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

can't you download the app for free?

or jailbreak it and enjoy even more apps than apple ever will officially give you?

4. Star Destroyer thread starter macrumors 6502

No, They say on the website that they have all of the new apps. Thats why they are referred to as the V2 iPod Touch, because they have the new apps.

So they have the new apps, AND they are regularly priced at 359.99$ and 279.99$.... Now they are on sale which takes 10$ more off. This is all canadian by the way, so it seems that if the dollar drops, it would be a huge steal for americans to come over pick up an iPod at 50+% off and laugh all the way home...

So yes, they are up to date.. they are not old product, which is surprising.. they also have the 32gb but its only 20$ off... It seems that the 16gb is for some reason far more discounted then the other two...

5. fandsw macrumors regular

ALso, be sure with BestBuy to print out the webpage with the internet price on it and take it to the store with you. When I exchanged into my 32GB last week, the online price was $25 cheaper than the instore. They immediately lowered it when I showed them the printout.

6. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Wow, seems like a great deal! Might have to go get one myself :D

7. UCLA-Bruin macrumors member

UCLA-Bruin

Paid $279 at student store for 8GB IPT, no apps...so $299 with apps and "hassle" of installing them.

8. ItTakesII macrumors member

ItTakesII

Really? The price for the iPod Touch doesn't change when I use the student store ...

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

He bought it without the apps. Student store or not, that was the price. It's no longer that way.

10. ItTakesII macrumors member

ItTakesII

Oh, okay thanks :) And yeah I check Best Buy, the iPod touch without the new applications is $279. But doesn't Best Buy charge for shipping online? You don't pay shipping if you buy from Apple ...:apple:

11. Star Destroyer thread starter macrumors 6502

See the weird thing is when you navigate to the ipod touch 'page' it lists two of every size, and half of them are V2 models, which mean they have the new january apps. The ones without the apps, are 10$ less then the V2 models, but even the NEW V2 models are still around 40$ LESS then apple.ca. So you can buy the 16GB touch with the January apps, for 359.99$ right now on sale, or wait and get it 369.99$ regular price..

I think its good to know that even if the mystery price drop does not happen before the summer i can still buy the 16GB touch for at least 40$ off apples price, and who knows, best buy might have another sale in a bit. They seem to have a sale every two weeks these days! haha

12. chickenninja macrumors 6502

chickenninja

you can get really good deals on apple products if you live in australia