iPod touch 5G and iMac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by garirry, Jul 21, 2013.

1. garirry macrumors 65816

garirry

As you know, the iPod Touch 5G cannot be synced with a PPC mac: it requires iTunes 10.7 which is Intel-only. My iMac G4 is my only computer at this moment, it is running Leopard, but is there any way to make iTunes 10.6.3 work with the newest iPod Touch?

2. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

What do you need to sync? Music? Contacts, calendars?

For music, at least, you can use iTunes Match (25$) so you'll have all the music in the cloud, so you can easily download it to the iPod.

3. garirry thread starter macrumors 65816

garirry

I'm not going to spend money on ANYTHING. I want to know if there's any way to sync my music DIRECTLY FROM ITUNES (I don't care if there's wi-fi sync or not). Is there any hacks or codes for iTunes to let me sync my new iPod?

----------

Oh, and I also need the possibility to use functions as "Restore" and "Update", at least with the use of an IPSW file.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There's no way to get iTunes to work with that iPod.

5. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

Then the answer is just no. I now what you meant in the first place, but there's no way of doing it like that, so I was just suggesting options.

6. gooser macrumors 6502

7. garirry thread starter macrumors 65816

garirry

Wonderful answer. I just said earlier that I won't spend anything.

--------------

So, there is absolutely no hack or patch or whatever to get iTunes work with my iPod? Man, that sucks. If only I could put my music on it. Can't I force iTunes to recognize it as an older iPod Touch or this is not possible?

8. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

No. Absolutely.

9. garirry thread starter macrumors 65816

garirry

Too bad. :( Guess I need to use Windows to add content.

10. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Smash the iCrap into bits and burn it, then get an android!

11. garirry thread starter macrumors 65816

garirry

There is no AndroidPod. Sorry, I'm Apple fan.

12. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

What Android are you thinking of? The one that works with iTunes/iCloud, and is just an MP3 player?

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

He's not thinking of any Android device. He just doesn't like iPod Touches.

14. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

You could always go with Linux

I know you are a fan boy and all that. I get that :D I am pounding the keys on my PB 1.5 at the moment, with and iPhone 3GS that no longer talk to with 10.4 installed. 10.5 will not fix the problem either, but if I installed Debian, MintPPC or ArchPPC I know with Amorak or other opensource audio players I could easily see my iphone and muck with it. The only reason I am still Apple all the way right now? Shotwell (Iphoto replacement) support for the iphone is spotty at best.

Going to opensource, i.e. linux, really might be your best bet. But that is just my 2 cents on it.

15. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I've already smashed my Android into bits and burned it, now I have an amazing Lumia and a wonderful iPod.

16. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

You'll need an older iPod, a newer Mac or iTunes Match do to this.

The only other thing you could try is one of the open source music players that can sync with iPods: I'd recommend Rhythmbox or Banshee.

Immature and off topic, but I installed a safari extension that changes "the cloud" to "my butt".

I keep forgetting it's installed, until every few weeks something like this happens:

[​IMG]

17. garirry thread starter macrumors 65816

garirry

Guess why I bought a Mac:
    Because it runs OS X! I won't go Linux on my Mac. If I spend so much money on a less powerful computer, then why would I run a free worthless OS when I can run it's own exclusive-to-mac system?

18. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

What about using "DropBox" as a bridge from your computer to your iPod?
    Might be a bit cumbersome, but it would be free and should get the job done.

19. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

If Linux is so worthless then why does nearly every major super-computer and server in the world use it. :rolleyes:

And your asking for help, beggars can't be choosers, we're offering you our help and you come back with some snarky comment.

20. garirry thread starter macrumors 65816

garirry

Can I download the music from it or I must be online to listen?

21. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I think you can download it.

22. garirry thread starter macrumors 65816

garirry

I tried, apparently you can't.

23. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

There are apps available such as "Boxytunes" and others that will download your tunes from DB for you.
    Google searching will find you something.

24. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

You might give amarok a try

It might be a long shot as Amarok dev for ppc is still in beta. You would have to install macports and do bit of mucking about to get it to work. But aside from spending money? I do not really seen any alternatives.

http://amarok.kde.org/

For now I will let the digs on linux slide. I have been involved with linux longer than I have owned macs. And it is far from a "worthless" os as you have so branded it. Do a bit of research next time. And as others have said; when you come looking for advice? It is not always wise to snipe at those willing to help with snarky comments.

25. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

I have a long history with trying to sync iPods with things they weren't meant to sync with. Back in 2005 - 2007, I used to sync an iPod shuffle and an iPod mini with Linux computers.

The problem is that iPods don't just recognise any music files you put on them. iPods have a 'music database' file that stores which files are on the iPod, and some metadata about the files (artist, album etc).

Apple don't tell other people what the database format is, because they don't like people syncing with other software. Any iPod syncing tool, other than iTunes, relies on people "working out" what the iTunes format is.

As time went on, Apple started hiding and even encrypting the iPod database. So most of the packages out there will work with the iPod classic, iPod mini, iPod shuffle, the first 2 or 3 generations of the iPod nano, and the 1st generation of the iPod touch (only if it's still running iOS 1).

I've seen packages like Senuti and iExplorer that can read files from iOS devices, but I haven't seen any other software that can add new music to them. Maybe Apple's hashing the database to make it incredibly difficult to add new things to, I don't know. When I moved to using Macs, I stopped needing to find backdoors into my own devices.

You have three options:

• Get a newer Mac, which you won't to because it costs money.
    • Get an older iPod, which you won't do because it costs money.
    • Jailbreak the iPod and find a music player that can see the iPod as a mass storage device. You won't be doing this if you're running iOS 6.1.3.

Short answer: Not going to happen.