Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinepada

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Perú
Will worth the risk of updating the device? I mean the iPod has very old hardware but I like some of the new features, will this update make my iPod even slower? (consider this update will need less space)

Reactions: im_to_hyper

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
We won't know for sure until it comes out, but I don't see why it would have a problem. It is listed under the supported devices and these operating systems are designed to run more efficiently as they are released and revised, so other than weeding out any possible bugs or hiccups after release (would recommend waiting until at least a stable release such as 9.1, as a rule of thumb) it should run smoothly. It wouldn't be a supported device otherwise. The iPhone 4s even made the list.

I don't think there is much "risk" involved, as you can always reset or downgrade it to whatever you find runs best. Hope this helps!

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Ios9 will be optimized to give the ipod touch 5 one more year of life, according to apple...let's see first.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
The first WIP beta on the iPod Touch 5 is a bit glitchy, although better than any other first beta I've tested. Proactive does not show up, although maybe the requirements are not high enough.
By the time the final iOS 9 is released I think the answer to your question will be a confident,"Yes."

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
This is not likely to be true, unless you're talking about the betas.

Why not? I've downgraded before. Use iTunes to reset the device to the version of iOS that it shipped with and then only update it as far as you would like to.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Why not? I've downgraded before. Use iTunes to reset the device to the version of iOS that it shipped with and then only update it as far as you would like to.

Should only work if Apple is still signing the prior version, which never lasts long and doesn't go back further than the most recent version. Am I missing something here???

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Should only work if Apple is still signing the prior version, which never lasts long and doesn't go back further than the most recent version. Am I missing something here???

No, this is precisely what I mean. Perhaps I worded it poorly. "As far as you would like to," meaning the one you previously had, which is more than likely the previous version to iOS 9 while it is still being signed. It lasts enough time for the user to realize that the new iOS version that they've upgraded to is not something they want to use, in my opinion.

My post was also meant to convey that there is always a baseline factory reset back to iOS 7, which may not appeal to some, but could be much better than any sort of horrors that could come with iOS 9, such as very poor battery life, just to give an example, and it would keep your device usable within reason.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
No, this is precisely what I mean. Perhaps I worded it poorly. "As far as you would like to," meaning the one you previously had, which is more than likely the previous version to iOS 9 while it is still being signed. It lasts enough time for the user to realize that the new iOS version that they've upgraded to is not something they want to use, in my opinion.

My post was also meant to convey that there is always a baseline factory reset back to iOS 7, which may not appeal to some, but could be much better than any sort of horrors that could come with iOS 9, such as very poor battery life, just to give an example, and it would keep your device usable within reason.

iOS 7 hasn't been signed since some time last fall. This is not like internet recovery on a Mac.

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010

I am unsure of my ability to restore to iOS 7. I have heard from so many that would want to go back but can't. This is where I am currently and things work "fine". I am using this as a pda- calendar, Numbers, podcasts, email, some games. A little slow loading numbers but works fine since I tweaked my spreadsheets. When I say "fine" I mean on that fine line between "works" and "what a pain in the a**". I would not want it any slower.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
iOS 7 hasn't been signed since some time last fall. This is not like internet recovery on a Mac.

This is what I am referring to. I see that it claims to "install the latest version of software," but I don't see why you can't use a previous backup or restore it to how it was shipped. I'm fairly certain I've done it at least once.

If this is not doable, sorry for any misinformation on my behalf.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
This is what I am referring to. I see that it claims to "install the latest version of software," but I don't see why you can't use a previous backup or restore it to how it was shipped. I'm fairly certain I've done it at least once.

You can restore to any firmware that is still being signed for your hardware. The exception to this is when you have a SHSH blob you can use with a third party tool. But you have to save them while you're still on said version of firmware.

You won't have a problem going from a beta to the current public release of iOS otherwise.

Backups don't include firmware, just user content and settings.

Reactions: Dark Void

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
You can restore to any firmware that is still being signed for your hardware. The exception to this is when you have a SHSH blob you can use with a third party tool. But you have to save them while you're still on said version of firmware.

You won't have a problem going from a beta to the current public release of iOS otherwise.

Okay, good to know. Thank you for the information.

Reactions: Jessica Lares

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

The post above from Jessica has it right. Unlike a Mac, you can almost never go back more than one increment with iOS and even that has to be done in a very, very short window. Basically, update and it's permanent in most cases. There are lots of threads complaining about this, but it is how Apple handles iOS updates.

Reactions: Dark Void

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
The post above from Jessica has it right. Unlike a Mac, you can almost never go back more than one increment with iOS and even that has to be done in a very, very short window. Basically, update and it's permanent in most cases. There are lots of threads complaining about this, but it is how Apple handles iOS updates.

I did not know this, as I'm more than likely one of those people that had reverted during a window period without realizing I even had one, and just assumed the process could be reused at any time.

I always like to learn new things, and I can share this with others that have similar questions in the future. Thank you to you as well for the information.

Reactions: im_to_hyper

nifta

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
I installed the public beta today on my ipt5 today. I found it extremely sluggish, sadly.

Some examples;

After tapping the Safari icon, there's a pause of about two seconds before the Safari window appears.

Swiping left and right on the home screen feels rather jittery.

Control centre was very unresponsive.

I figured it might be indexing, so left it for about 8 hours. Sadly no sign of any improvements beginning to happen, so I reinstalled 8.4.

Will wait for the final release I think!

Reactions: dinepada

dinepada

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Perú
I installed the public beta today on my ipt5 today. I found it extremely sluggish, sadly.

Some examples;

After tapping the Safari icon, there's a pause of about two seconds before the Safari window appears.

Swiping left and right on the home screen feels rather jittery.

Control centre was very unresponsive.

I figured it might be indexing, so left it for about 8 hours. Sadly no sign of any improvements beginning to happen, so I reinstalled 8.4.

Will wait for the final release I think!
I'm having the same experiencie, also Siri doesn't work in spanish(which I use), but my ipod touch 5g is my secondary device so I will keep the beta

nifta

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
I've reinstalled ios 9 beta since. I still have the delays when launching apps but I actually find app performance when loaded, especially Safari, to be a bit faster compared to ios 8.4.

Home screen swiping left/right and Control Centre also sorted itself out after 24 hours.

iKoopa

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2011
The Bronx, New York
I'm not sure if it's because I'm just anal about UI responsiveness (I notice every little hiccup or herky jerky motion), but I don't have high hopes for iOS 9. iOS 8 on my iPad 4th Gen hasn't been terrible, but has been undergoing minor lag in the UI. Some apps take a little longer to load than usual, even with all the maintenance that I do. And this is on an A6X. The A5 is not remotely as powerful in comparison, so I highly doubt it.

Once my iPad started lagging I knew everything else I owned (A6X, A6, and A5) it was gonna go downhill from there. My iPod Touch 5th Gen is still on iOS 6.1 for this very reason.

nifta

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
It's been a mixed-bag for me so far on my ipt5. Some apps are worse; lists in the tapatalk and the eBay apps are far more juddery when scrolled rapidly. But I can scroll around in pages in Safari more smoothly than in 8.4.

Maybe once 3rd party apps are officially updated to iOS 9 they'll improve.

As it stands though, there aren't any system improvements in iOS 9 for the ipt5 that mean I would want it; most cool features in iOS 9 are missing. All I'm hoping for are performance improvements. If those don't come, I think I'll leave mine sat forever on iOS 8.4 and hide the Settings app in a folder to distract my eye from the red "1" on it. I have an iPhone 4 that I'm still keeping on iOS 6, so it wouldn't be the first time!

iKoopa

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2011
The Bronx, New York
It's been a mixed-bag for me so far on my ipt5. Some apps are worse; lists in the tapatalk and the eBay apps are far more juddery when scrolled rapidly. But I can scroll around in pages in Safari more smoothly than in 8.4.

Maybe once 3rd party apps are officially updated to iOS 9 they'll improve.

As it stands though, there aren't any system improvements in iOS 9 for the ipt5 that mean I would want it; most cool features in iOS 9 are missing. All I'm hoping for are performance improvements. If those don't come, I think I'll leave mine sat forever on iOS 8.4 and hide the Settings app in a folder to distract my eye from the red "1" on it. I have an iPhone 4 that I'm still keeping on iOS 6, so it wouldn't be the first time!

Besides app support (honestly haven't run into that problem as of yet) and the "new look", my iPod Touch 5th Gen is also staying on iOS 6. The A5 was built with iOS 5 in mind, so updating to iOS 6 was already a risk in it itself lol.

A 2011 Core i3 + 2015 OsX El Capitan will have nothing to worry about. Almost all features would be supported and this coming from the entry level of the lineup.

In the mobile space though?

A 2011 A5 + 2015 iOS 9 just doesn't sound appealing in my book.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.