iPod Touch 5G and iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LadyX, Oct 11, 2012.

1. LadyX, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Anyone here just bought an iPhone 5 and will be getting an iPod Touch 5G? I'm asking because I have an iPhone 5 and I'm in the need for an iPod as my old iPod nano has reached its limit in the number of songs I can have on it and I always have to put it to charge because of a battery issue. Do you think I should get the new iPod Touch? And no, I don't want to have my music on my iPhone because it's only a 32GB and will get full quickly. Also, please don't recommend iTunes Match. I want my music on a separate device.

2. Jsameds macrumors 68030

3. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Why? A 32GB is enough for my needs. And I've stated that I don't want to store my music on the iPhone, even if it were a 64GB :)

4. MrPomme macrumors member

I currently have an iPhone 5 64Go and an iPod touch 4G 32Go.
    I am planning to replace the iPod touch by a new one (64Go) because I am running out of space.
    Before that, I had a Nano (4G, 5G, 6G) but 16 Go is clearly not enough. I love to have all my music with me, just in case, and, like you, I don't want to use my iPhone to listen to music. Anyway, I have already a lot of stuff on it and I have less than 32 Go left of space.
    And I have iTunes Match but I don't like to use it over cellular and there isn't always WIFI where I go.

5. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Just seems a little contradictory, 'tis all.

6. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

I see what you mean. I just decided to add that because I know that I'll get replies like "you can store your music on the iPhone" and such.

7. caramelpolice macrumors regular

Why do you want two separate devices that are so similar when you could just get a higher-capacity phone? This makes no sense.

8. Simbazz macrumors regular

Does if you don't want to run the battery down listening to music. I'm in the same position, got a 32GB iP5 and now waiting for the 32GB iPod Touch to arrive.

9. caramelpolice macrumors regular

Then why buy an iPod touch? Why not get something like an iPod classic? More capacity, lower cost, less redundant functionality.

10. Simbazz macrumors regular

I like having the apps, the ability to buy music on the actual device etc.

Main reason though, I like shiny new things.

11. dchao macrumors 6502a

You seemed to have made up your mind already. If you have $299 to spend, go for it and contribute to the US economy.

12. caramelpolice macrumors regular

You have those things. It's called your iPhone.

But hey, it's your money, throw it away if you want.

13. Simbazz macrumors regular

I'll set a scene, paint a picture....

On the train to work, listen to music, checking the daily news, tweeting and facebooking a little, maybe even a light texting. I get to work, were I still text, tweet, Facebook. Once work has finished I stand waiting for my train, I decide to out on some music...but wait, 2% battery!

I'm getting the touch because I like to keep it separate as I'm sure the OP can also agree with me here. Why waste battery (and the iP5 has little of it) listening to music when I can do all I need on the touch and still have the phone as, well, a phone?

It's all dependant on who you are. Some will carry chargers and leads, I prefer to pay extra to make sure I'm never caught short. Plus, why clog up my 32GB phone with my music,and have no room for apps etc? Each device has its part in my life.

14. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

"Hey guys, I constantly carry with me a device that is essentially an iPod that can make phone calls, but I don't want to store music on it."

:confused:

Also, please explain how you reconcile these two statements you have made:
    "I don't want to have my music on my iPhone because it's only a 32GB and will get full quickly."
    "32GB is enough for my needs"

If you are worried that 32GB will be filled too quickly, then it is obviously not enough for your needs.

I don't see the point of this thread. It started with "should I get the iPod Touch", but the decision has apparently already been made, since all responses were shrugged off.

Battery drain from AAC files is insignificant, so that is no concern. Space issues are easily alleviated as long as you rate your songs and use a few live-updating smart playlists. I only sync 8GB of my 40GB library, thanks to a few nested smart playlists. The only effort I need to expend is rating my songs, which I do regardless.

15. Jsameds macrumors 68030

I prefer to keep my device charged. Jus' sayin' ;)

16. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Tough crowd..

Anyway, I said that my 32GB iPhone would get full if I had my music on it because I know that I'd get replies saying that I can store my music on my iPhone, and so I said that so that you know it's not an option for me. So, 32GB is enough because when I bought it I never thought of storing music and I never intend to. I like to listen to music on an iPod.

17. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Couldn't agree more.

18. dchao macrumors 6502a

On a train to work, I would rather use a iPad. But that is just me, since OP has made up his/her mind already.

19. Simbazz macrumors regular

You've never travelled public transport round these parts have you ;)

20. dchao macrumors 6502a

OP can wait for the iPad mini. :cool: