iPod touch 5G comparable to iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MicroByte, Sep 25, 2012.

1. MicroByte macrumors 6502

Given the specs (minus knowledge of memory), do think the new iPod Touch will be comparable in speed to an iPad 2?

2. na1577 macrumors 6502a

3. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

It should be nearly the same, and since they share A5 chips (albeit the iPod chips will have a few improvements over the iPads) they should have the same RAM.

If you want a more direct idea of what it'll be like, try messing with a 4S for a while, since they share the most spec wise.

4. dchao macrumors 6502a

expect iPod touch's are usually under-clocked. To make them as light as possible but still have a long runtime.

5. MicroByte thread starter macrumors 6502

Great insight, thanks everyone. I realize these are all assumptions since we won't know until its released, but this sound promising.

Fed up with trying to play anything that even remotely pushes my iPod Touch 4g, it's just getting frustrating now.

6. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

However there must be some differences as they don't give Siri to ipad2 but do give it to the ipod touh 5g?

7. MicroByte thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm, that's true. The only think I can speculate (if they are the same performance wise) is that Siri is a marketing feature that "only" works on iPad 3 instead of iPad 2.

At this point, I really hope that it's speedy enough. iOS 6 is really causing my IPT4G to drag now. I really wish I didn't upgrade and stayed on 5.

8. ttyyuu12345 macrumors newbie

well I will say this I have a IPod touch 5g myself And one of my teachers uses iPad 2nd generations in the classroom. I have messed around with the iPad and it crashes a lot. The iPod on the other hand will not freeze up on you. The iPod has a 5mp back and a 1.2 mp front camera. the iPad has around a 1mp back and VGA front camera. The iPod has Siri enabled. The iPod has a retina display while the iPad 2 doesnt. Now the disadvantages to the iPod are small. The iPod has a 1136x640 resolution and the iPad has a 1024x768 resolution. (kind of tied on resolutions.) The other thing is the iPad's processor is the full dual core 1ghz while the iPod is underclocked to 800mhz but there's not much of a diff. I say the iPod touch 5g is your best bet

9. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Yeah he probably decided by now...

10. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I believe someone post a thread about how apple has an agreement with company that made siri in which siri will only be available for new devices only. Starting at iphone 4s, i guess.

Nothing to do with the spec at all. Ipad 2 surely capable of having siri.

Although, Ipod touch is nowhere near the battery life of an Ipad 2.