iPod Touch 5G + Karma WiFi = Phone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Teeter, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Teeter macrumors newbie

Teeter

Yep, my iPod Touch (running iOS 8) gets more action than my iPhone 5. It's only fair to say that most of the places I go to have readily available WiFi. Work, home, gym, coffee shop, even my local carwash has free wifi on top of my Karma Wifi unit.

My iPod Touch has a phone # thanks to Google Voice. The Google Voice app gives it SMS features and iMessage for use with Apple friends. As for calls, Google Hangouts now allows incoming and outgoing calls using your Google Voice #. There's also FaceTime Audio.

Anyone else doing this?

2. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

I do this. However I don't update to iOS 8. Because my carrier already has a free app I could use to use my phones number to text on my iPod.

3. Teeter thread starter macrumors newbie

Teeter

Which carrier is it? That's fantastic.

4. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

I do this, and have been doing it for 4 yrs now. I also have an iPad mini with AT&T unlimited data for $30 a month that I'm grandfathered in on, so I'm covered. I have zero desire to pay $100 or more a month for phone service with an iphone contract. I love my iPod touch 5g. I do hope the rumors about an iPod touch 6g being released this October come true. Would love to have a 4.7" iPod touch with a better camera and faster chip. I use my iPod touch as my travel camera of choice.

5. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

I'm in the UK, it's O2's to go. Funnily they advertise it as saying that you'll never miss a text. But sometimes, you don't want to

6. Teeter thread starter macrumors newbie

Teeter

Exactly the same reason why I stuck to the WiFi hotspot plan that is pay as you go as opposed to paying $100 for services I hardly use up.

I would love a new gen iPod touch!!

7. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Remember we can also make and receive phones calls on our touches with the app:D

8. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

But this app syncs with your phone. No matter if it is a smartphone or a dumbphone.

9. Teeter thread starter macrumors newbie

Teeter

Haha. So basically, you still need a phone and a contract.