iPad mini ipod touch 5g or ipad mini for airplay - best battery life?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by alphabetagaga, Mar 17, 2015.

1. alphabetagaga macrumors regular

alphabetagaga

i'm looking to get either a itouch 5g or ipad mini 3 to use purely to stream my music collection via airplay to a couple of speakers. given that the screen would generally be 'off' once streaming, what would give me the better battery life?

2. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

If that is really the only thing you care about, then the Mini 3, as it has a vastly bigger battery. Better music playing time as well (140h vs 40h).

----------

However the touch is a lot cheaper if your budget is low

----------

However the touch is a lot cheaper if your budget is low

3. alphabetagaga thread starter macrumors regular

alphabetagaga

thanks for replying nj. where did you get the 140hr from?

4. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Wikipedia. Not sure how they know though.

5. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I have both iPod 5G and rMini and can confirm that both will do AirPlay well. The rMini has vastly better battery life in spite of its much larger screen - i get usually 10 to 12 hours in mixed use (not just AirPlay). My 5G iPod is usually less than 4 hours, but its battery may be getting old. (the battery is essentially non replaceable, by the way)

The advantages of the 5G iPod are its small size and low cost.

You may want to give some thought, however, as to how you might end up using both devices for things other than AirPlay. If using web content, reading Kindle or iBooks, access to a cell connection, etc. have any value to you at all then I'd recommend the rMini.

6. alphabetagaga thread starter macrumors regular

alphabetagaga

thanks for replying. i think i'll go with the itouch. all i really want the device to do is hold my music collection (40GB) and stream it via airplay to a speaker. the models i'm looking at, the mini 3 is £399 and the itouch 5g is £229. i'm not sure i can justify nearly double the price for the extra battery juice when i'm never far away from a charger. plus having a 'instant on' tablet at hand could be quite distracting if you know what i mean ;)