iPod touch 5G Release Theory.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ty7u5, Dec 10, 2011.

1. ty7u5 macrumors member

I was thinking and I think that I have come up with a theory for why we don't have an iPod touch 5G this year. Since the iPhone 5 wasn't ready, they couldn't release a 5G, because it's like the iPhone baby brother, and having a new design/screen size/prices/processor wouldn't make the iPhone look good.
    Just my two cents.

2. GeniusJon macrumors regular

The iPod touch gets a major upgrade when the iPhone gets a major upgrade. Hence the reason why the iPod touch 3rd generation looked the same as the second generation.

3. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The situation back then isn't really compatible to now. Those third generation iPod touches may have looked the same as their second gen counterparts, but their internal hardware was considerably improved. At this point Apple has not released a fifth generation iPod touch in any shape or form. Only a white fourth gen.

(note that the third gen only came in 32GB and 64GB varieties. The 8GB sold at the same time was a repackaged second gen.)

4. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Parts of your story make sense, but there is more to the theory. Obviously, when Apple releases new mobile products, it's either one of three things. An iPad, an iPhone or an iPod. This year at WWDC 2011, you saw that they could not update the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5. This was because of two things. First of all, they could not produce Siri at a decent level [beta] that they could not ship out the iPhone 4S and instead focused on iCloud and everything else. The iPhone 4S should have been released at WWDC 2011 and the iPhone 5 in WWDC 2012. The iPod Touch 5th generation should have be released in October.

However, the outcome in October was the iPhone 4S and a minor update to the iPod Touch 4th generation by adding a white version. Personally, I think that the iPod Touch 4th generation was still good enough leading into 2012, so Apple made the best of a sticky situation.