Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeblade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
Hi all!

I bet everyone is feeling the buzz for the new iPod Touch!

Awhile ago I noticed that the 5th gen tech specs didn't have the Ambient Light Sensor listed but the 4th gen did. I was a bit sad because I find it extremely useful for auto adjusting and have found it horribly annoying to change it manually.

However, today I was reading about the 5th gen benchmarks on this page:
http://www.macotakara.jp/blog/iphone/entry-17952.html
I noticed that the "Ambient Light Sensor" has a tick next to it.

Does anyone know for sure if it has it or not?

EDIT: According to the new User Guide, the 5th gen does NOT have the Ambient Light Sensor. What a bummer :(

Last edited:

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
Hi all!

I bet everyone is feeling the buzz for the new iPod Touch!

Awhile ago I noticed that the 5th gen tech specs didn't have the Ambient Light Sensor listed but the 4th gen did. I was a bit sad because I find it extremely useful for auto adjusting and have found it horribly annoying to change it manually.

However, today I was reading about the 5th gen benchmarks on this page:
http://www.macotakara.jp/blog/iphone/entry-17952.html
I noticed that the "Ambient Light Sensor" has a tick next to it.

Does anyone know for sure if it has it or not?

While I can't say for sure, I would be very very surprised if Apple took that out for the 5th generation. If it's any consolation, I looked at the tech specs for the 2nd gen touch and it's not listed there either, but I know for certain that my 2nd gen touch has a light sensor. It's pretty much a standard feature now, maybe they decided it was okay to stop listing it?

honem

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2010
If that's a screenshot from a app that lists an iPod features I would believe that over a user guide.

It may just be an omission in the user guide that they have to update it for.

Which are you going to believe.... a user guide that may of missed it out by mistake ?

Or an app that calls API calls in the hardware itself to ask the iPod directly if it has that feature?

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
If that's a screenshot from a app that lists an iPod features I would believe that over a user guide.

It may just be an omission in the user guide that they have to update it for.

Which are you going to believe.... a user guide that may of missed it out by mistake ?

Or an app that calls API calls in the hardware itself to ask the iPod directly if it has that feature?

I'm going to trust the device itself not having an auto-brightness feature.

121009gian_ipodtouch005_480x.jpg

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Whaaaaat. No seriously, what is this I don't even. Apple has included the ambient light sensor since the first iPod touch, WTF is this all about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.