ipod touch 5th gen has all features of iphone5?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tbluhp, Sep 12, 2012.

1. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

so I dont have to pay full price for the new iphone5 cause my contract wont let me upgrade until jan 2014 is the touch 5th gen and iphone 5 about the same features?

2. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

The chip is not an A6 chip like the iPhone 5. It'll be the A5 chip. Camera is 5mp not 8mp. No idea on the RAM.

3. iDave macrumors 6502a

I'm curious to hear if the displays are the same quality. Previously, the iPhone had a better display, even though it had the same resolution as the touch.

4. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

The 32GB starting point is especially weird given that all the other iOS devices start at 16GB.
    Apple is once again trying to expand their product offerings by keeping their older devices around (i.e. the 4th gen iPod touch). I guess the 4th gen is their 'value' iPod touch.
    The $299 starting price really puts it amongst some stiff competition in the US, and the extra storage vs. it's 7" competitors will not influence many people, who will just see a smaller device for more money than say a Kindle Fire HD.

5. tyche macrumors 6502

With price as it is, I can't see how they would position a iPad mini. I really can't see them ever releasing it.

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Good observation. They're keeping the lower capacity 4th Gen models around so that they can maintain the current spectrum of price points. That leaves no room for an iPad Mini.

If they were going to produce an iPad Mini, I would think that they would offer 2 iPod Touch models (32 & 64GB) at the lower price points which then leaves room for a $299 and $399 iPad Mini.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Obviously there's no cellular stuff. Also no GPS.

5MP camera instead of 8MP.

A5 processor (same as iPad 2 and iPhone 4S) instead of A6.

Otherwise they seem pretty similar.

8. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Still beats the iPod 4 and my iPod 3. I have an iPad, but will think seriously about getting the iPod 5. I don't really want to have the phone charges, or I would get the iPhone. My iPad is Wi-fi only also.

9. EdDigitalMac macrumors newbie

Wonder how the turn by turn works without a GPS chip in there? :confused:

10. davidhao macrumors newbie

I don't see the turn by turn working at all, without an internet connection, the map itself won't load. Anyone heard Apple adding map caching feature in IOS6?

11. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

Well, the Apple site lists their screen specs as the same, so I'd assume so. They are the same size, which is the biggest new thing. I would think they just went ahead and made only one screen, why bother making two different ones?

12. Slinkwyde macrumors regular

Not a phone, so no calls or SMS.
    No GPS or magnetometer (compass), which affects map apps, check-ins, and geotagging photos.
    Lower quality (but probably decent) camera.
    Frequently offline (no cellular Internet), which makes features like Siri, iMessage, and FaceTime less useful.

13. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

14. SmallvilleGirl macrumors newbie

15. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It's an IPS display this time, thankfully. Whether it has full sRGB coverage or not I don't know.

16. rovex macrumors 65816

It's exactly the same.

17. Dkorda macrumors 6502

No GPS blows. Might make a decent navigational device if it had it.