ipod touch 5th generatiom+ hotspot

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xfmsdk, Oct 19, 2012.

1. xfmsdk macrumors newbie

I have an iPod Touch 5th generation used with the virgin mobile hotspot 3g/4g with the $35 2gb of data and i love it! i also have a cell phone im planning to cancel or just keep with a $10 prepaid plan. i just recommend doing it for those who want an iphone but don't want the expensive bill. i use to have an iphone and i couldnt keep up with the bill. It is annoying to carry so much stuff sometimes but i hardly use my dummy phone. its basically for emergency now and i use talkatone and text on the iPod. it's totally worth it and the pros outweigh the cons.

2. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Sounds great for you, but this of course wouldn't work for most of us. I use my phone for work a great deal... I probably use at least 800 minutes a month to talk, plus about 5GB of data.

If that works for you then its a fantastic setup. I do use my iPhone 5 as a hot spot and connect my iPod Touch 5 to it, which is sweet too.

3. xfmsdk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it wouldn't work out for most. I'd like to add that I have 4g in most places and 4g is unlimited with the hotspot. I would prefer an iPhone but I can't afford it and I am really glad I got the touch. I love that its pink. :)

4. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

It sounds like you have a good setup and basically still get the iPhone experience so that is great!

I seen a pink iPod Touch 5 tonight at a football game. Me and the lady were comparing her Pink one and my Blue one. That Pink one is snazzy! :)

5. fewlio macrumors member

6. cnev3 macrumors 6502

I have a tmobile prepaid plan. $30 a month and I get 4GB of 4G, and unlimited 3G, i'll be using that phone as a hotspot for my ipod touch.

7. dchao macrumors 6502a

That doesn't seem like a good deal. My Verizon prepaid is $30 per month for 2GB data, and has a really good coverage.

8. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

Here in the Uk, i've got a vodafone mifi for £15 for 5gb. I'm actually now looking for a second battery for it given it's on a lot more!

From what i read on the vodafone forums, this older model seems to far better than the newer ones. I'm about halfway through an 18 month contract with it, but cant see any reason to cancel it when thats up. Been really happy with it!

9. xfmsdk thread starter macrumors newbie

well the deal is when it is 4G it is unlimited.i think its capped at 10gb. some areas you'll only get 3G. Some places get 4G. But 3g seems pretty much everywhere. At least where I'm at.

10. pachi macrumors newbie

hotspot issues

I've been using a Sprint hotspot with my first gen iPod touch for 2 years. I use it while I commute. I got a fifth gen iPod touch and it is MUCH less likely to connect while I'm on the road. Does anybody else have this issue? I still keep my first gen in the car all the time now so I can pull it out when my new one doesn't work.

11. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Why not just save up and get the actual virgin mobile iphone?

12. ohsnapiam61 macrumors newbie

Thank you

OMG thank you. i knew there had to be a way around getting an expensive phone. i love my ipod touch and can text with it...not a big talking on the phone person. A BIG HELP!! :D

13. 617aircav Suspended

Seems a chore to lug around 3 devices just to get the iPhone experience.

14. ohsnapiam61 macrumors newbie

not a chore and not lugging

just 2...my ipod and the hotspot. personally, i cannot justify paying over $100 each month for the priviledge of texting on an iphone. i rarely talk on a phone anyway. i keep a cheap pay as you go phone for emergencies. for me and others like me, this is a good alternative. if you can afford it...more power to you.

15. 617aircav Suspended

You don't have to. I pay $55 or $40 a month with aio (owned by att) prepaid.

16. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

Here in the UK I pay £5 a month for unlimited data on my Xperia Z; quite often I'll use its hotspot for my Touch.