Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoviGoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
I just got an iPod Touch 5th Generation for Christmas, and I had some questions...

Is there any way to get the iPod to stop organizing albums by year under the specific artist(possibly by album title instead)? I have a 2 album set by this one artist and since it's a "greatest hits" CD set, the CD's have different years, so the two albums are not listed together...

Also, when I go to Music and use the Artists view, next to the artists' names, there are pictures there for some of them that I didn't pick out/choose or put there at all...it seems the iPod must have chosen a picture for the artist...is there any way to change those pictures? I transferred music from my 4th generation iPod to my 5th, so it did use the pictures from my cache on my computer for the album views, but just not the artist...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Sorry but I did not find an answer for you first quiestion. But in the artists it is suppose use the picture from the artist lastest album.

Last edited:

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i don't know if you can change the default sorting from within the ipod, but have you tried editing the id tags from within itunes? there should be an option to mark the album as a 2 cd set. alternatively, you can change the date to mark the release of the greatest hits album as the date of release (should be the same?).

JoviGoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Sorry but I did not find an answer for you first quiestion. But in the artists it is suppose use the picture from the artist lastest album.

So far, with the albums I've added to my iPod, I've found that two artists, with one album each, have the picture as the album cover art of the album I added, but then I also have one artist with one album, that has a stock photo that I did not add...just a picture of him, it's not from an album cover as far as I know... And then other artists, where I've added multiple albums, they have a stock photo of the group next to their name...

----------

i don't know if you can change the default sorting from within the ipod, but have you tried editing the id tags from within itunes? there should be an option to mark the album as a 2 cd set. alternatively, you can change the date to mark the release of the greatest hits album as the date of release (should be the same?).

I've checked off the CD's as "1 of 2" and "2 of 2" in itunes already(without changing the year)... I guess I'll try changing the year. I think what had happened was the year of the first song on each CD was the year the songs were made originally. The years for the other songs on the two CD's are all different as well.

JoviGoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
I also was wondering, why do some videos now go into the "Home Videos" section, and some go into "Movies"? I downloaded all my videos the same way...Why would they get put into the two different sections? And how would I get them all put into the "Movies" section and out of "Home Videos"??

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I also was wondering, why do some videos now go into the "Home Videos" section, and some go into "Movies"? I downloaded all my videos the same way...Why would they get put into the two different sections? And how would I get them all put into the "Movies" section and out of "Home Videos"??

By default, any movies you rip (handbrake, etc) go into home videos while the iTunes video you purchase goes into movies. In iTunes, you should be able to get / change info on each video to place it in the correct area.

Note - IOS 7 also displays video choices in the movie category by icon and video choices in the home videos by list. I greatly prefer having a list so I like my movies listed in the home video section as opposed to movies section.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I just got an iPod Touch 5th Generation for Christmas, and I had some questions...

Is there any way to get the iPod to stop organizing albums by year under the specific artist(possibly by album title instead)? I have a 2 album set by this one artist and since it's a "greatest hits" CD set, the CD's have different years, so the two albums are not listed together...

Also, when I go to Music and use the Artists view, next to the artists' names, there are pictures there for some of them that I didn't pick out/choose or put there at all...it seems the iPod must have chosen a picture for the artist...is there any way to change those pictures? I transferred music from my 4th generation iPod to my 5th, so it did use the pictures from my cache on my computer for the album views, but just not the artist...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

For the artist pictures...there is no way to get rid of those. They are automatically put there if there is no album art or if u have multiple albums...hope it helps. Message me or reply to this if you have any other iPod touch or other apple device questions.

JoviGoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
By default, any movies you rip (handbrake, etc) go into home videos while the iTunes video you purchase goes into movies. In iTunes, you should be able to get / change info on each video to place it in the correct area.

Note - IOS 7 also displays video choices in the movie category by icon and video choices in the home videos by list. I greatly prefer having a list so I like my movies listed in the home video section as opposed to movies section.

That's the weird thing, though... The videos I have, I used RealPlayer with them. I didn't go really through an iTunes video purchase to make one different from the other...

----------

For the artist pictures...there is no way to get rid of those. They are automatically put there if there is no album art or if u have multiple albums...hope it helps. Message me or reply to this if you have any other iPod touch or other apple device questions.

Aw, alright. Thanks, iPodJedi!

JoviGoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Is there any way to fix this?? A couple pictures (Stevie Ray Vaughan and Bon Jovi) got misplaced by the iPod onto Sixx:A.M. and Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes. I tried deleting the Bon Jovi album that had the corresponding picture and then re-adding the Southside Johnnny albums, but that didn't work... I don't have pictures on all my albums yet...could that be why the pictures on these two are messing up? Or some other reason?

Attachments

• Wrong Pictures on Artist Names.PNG
    Wrong Pictures on Artist Names.PNG
    570.3 KB · Views: 254

Zman2112

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2015
I need help desperately

I need help desperately because I tried to downgrade the software from ios 8.3 to ios 8.2 and I got my iPod stuck in recovery mode. (Recovery mode is when the screen is black but it has the usb connector and an arrow pointing up to the iTunes logo) I tried many methods including DFU mode and iTunes. Any suggestions?
:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.