iPod Touch 6 Best iOS Version for Music Only

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mwhals, Jun 5, 2017.

1. mwhals, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

mwhals macrumors regular

What is the best iOS version on the iPod Touch 6 if using it only for music? Apple sells them with iOS 10 and others with iOS 8. Is anyone upgrading to iOS 11 this fall?

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68020

It's opinion based as well as what app you'll be using to play music. I personally don't mind either 8.4 or iOS 10 Music apps. Performance wise all versions are fine.

3. mwhals thread starter macrumors regular

4. drysdalk macrumors newbie

Hi,

My experience with the 6th. generation has been that it copes absolutely fine with iOS 10 in every way, no issues at all that I’ve experienced. I bought mine a year ago so it would have shipped with iOS 9 at the time, and I didn’t really notice any kind of performance drop at all going from 9 to 10.

5. mwhals thread starter macrumors regular

It will be interesting to see how iOS 11 does on it.

6. rjalda100 macrumors regular

I've got mine running on 9.3.5 and it's a great experience. I don't use Apple Music and I find hiding all of the excess stuff I don't use to be much easier on iOS 9. I'll probably never update it as it isn't my main device (I have a 6S as well on the latest iOS version) and it serves its purpose well.

7. mwhals thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up getting Cesium to play my music as it does not have the bloated Apple Music functuonality.

8. Sludgepond macrumors regular

Sludgepond

The Apple Music functionality can be disabled in the setting under "Music". I use my iPod internet free and the default app is awesome with Apple Music turned off, IMO.