iPod touch 6G release soon?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Daaba99, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Daaba99 macrumors newbie

With the recent release of the cheaper 16GB iPod Touch 5G do you guys believe Apple plans on releasing a new line of 6th generation iPod Touches any time soon? I ask this as I currently own an ancient 2nd generation iPod Touch and am looking forward to upgrading however it would really suck to update just before Apple releases the new iPods. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

2. Bear macrumors G3

The usual update time for iPods is in the fall (northern hemisphere). And there was one year Apple didn't upgrade the iPod touch. So the answer is probably September to October with a small chance of no update this year.

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Apple updates the design every other year on the higher capacity iPod Touch. In the off year, Apple updates the smallest capacity iPod Touch to the current design.

The design changed last year so we are currently in the off year. The 32/64 iPod Touch might only get a minor update (colors, etc) this fall and the design will not change until fall of 2014. The 16G iPod Touch will not see a design change until 2015.

I highly recommend the 5th gen Touch as a replacement for your current Touch.

4. Bear macrumors G3

iPod touch:
    1. 1st gen - 2007
    2. 2nd gen - 2008
    3. 3rd gen - 2009
    4. 4th gen - 2010
    5. 5th gen - 2012
    Apple skipped updating the iPod touch one year. They may update to the 6th gen this year or they may skip a year. However to flat out say that it gets a design update every other year is flat wrong.

5. ufwa macrumors regular

The ipod touch saw design changes in 2008, 2010, and 2012. That's pretty much every other year. Similar to the iphone, design changed in 2008, 2010, 2012.

the 2nd and 3rd gen ipod touches share the same design. Its one of the criticisms Apple received when launching the 3rd gen ipod touch. they kept around an 8gb version. except it was an 8gb 2nd gen version with latest OS. It lead to confusion as the Apple considered it a new model along with the 32/64gb models but internally only the 32/64gb were deemed new.

6. Bear macrumors G3

The external design of the iPod touch may not have changed between the 2nd and 3rd generations, however, the processor and gpu changed. Also, the latest iOS version for the 2nd gen is 4.2.1 and the 3rd gen is 5.1.1.

There are 2 parts to the design what the outside looks like and the electronics inside, just because one doesn't change, it doesn't mean that the other change isn't worth it. After all how often does the case design of the various Macs change? How can you say that if the 6th gen is released this year that the electronics update won't be worth it? Especially as we have no idea what may happen.

7. davydavy macrumors member

Flat wrong indeed, as only 2011 is missing.

I do agree that, yes, a slight change is entirely possible. I could envisage the iPod Touch range mirroring the iPad Mini by adding a cellular option for the upmarket version and also differentiating more on memory.

The new version that left the camera out will surely be dropped as quietly as it was introduced by an embarrassed marketing team.

8. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

As others have stated, it gets some update every year in september or october. I will not get in discussion about skipping, or if it is only specs or design.

I have upgraded a month ago also from a 2g iPod touch and I have to say, it was a huge step forward (4x more storage, retina display, 2 cameras, faster internals etc.). I cannot imagine what revolutionary feature could make it feasible to wait until fall. If you want one, buy the 5th gen, you will not regret it. That was my case. But of course, YMMV.

9. monolithic macrumors member

Or it might be replaced by a cheaper iPhone. I don't think it is possible. Maybe Apple will release a completely new one when the iPhone gets new hardware, it could be this year if there are any or next year.

10. Bear macrumors G3

It won't get replaced by a cheaper iPhone. The iPod touch will exist for all the reasons it is being bought now. I can see the iPod classic getting the axe when the iPod touch gets up to it the same storage capacity. Of course Apple could surprise us and update the classic with more storage.

11. nitishgarlapati macrumors newbie

Since it was a 4s released in 2011 there was no update to iPod touch and this year it depends on the iPhone going to release if it is 5s there is no update to iPod touch but if it is a 6 then there is defenet up date to iPod touch

12. Bear macrumors G3

Even if Apple releases the iPhone as a 5S, they could still update the iPod touch. Especially if they do storage increases on the iPhone 5S.

13. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

You might see additional colors added and 128GB is a slim possibility.