iPod touch 6G release?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cherzong, Jun 3, 2014.

1. cherzong macrumors newbie

Will the Ipod Touch 6G be release this year? 2014? I'm still holding onto my 4G and don't want to get the 5G because it's already getting old. I just want to know if it's ganna be this year or next year.

2. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Sad part is... I'm beginning to believe it's not happening myself.

J

3. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

It is most likely to release in Sept-Oct.

If the iPT was linked to Intel processors, I would doubt a new release in 2014. Since it is just the common Ax processors, the iPT will upgrade within 6 months.

Or it will vanish. However, it is the biggest-selling iPod, so it will most likely upgrade.

4. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Although it is a declining market, the iPod touch is still Apple biggest moneymaking iPod and the iPod lineup. I think there is still quite a demand for the iPod touch and for that reason I think Apple will release a new one although I'm very skeptical. I think Apple will quietly release an itouch6 with few improvements... But for now, the current iPod touch seems strong enough to last through ios8 so there may be no need for an iPod touch 6.
    I think Apples best bet would be to make an itouch6 this year with an A7 chip and then they wouldn't have to worry about upgrading it for 3 years or so. By then, the iPod touch will probably have lost almost all of its demand.

5. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

I can see a new iPod touch releasing considering iOS 8 supports the 5th gen, and it has been out for 2 years now or coming up to it.

6. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

Correct me if I am wrong on this but the last time I checked you cannot just go out and buy an iPhone and use it without cell service... Right?? It won't connect to iTunes without a service plan and you can't put apps and music on it through iTunes. Now I know you can take a previously used iPhone (from a family member) and turn it into a touch but from what I understand it has to be one that is deactivated by the carrier and already previously been on a plan. I don't want to jailbreak either. Unless something has changed.

Thus a market for the touch exists, for those like me that can't afford an iPhone plan and that do not have access to a family member with an old iPhone they can use.

Unless there is another way I don't know about without jailbreak or other mods.

7. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I think if Iphone 6 is released with 4.7 or 5.5 or both screen size. We might get to see Ipod touch 6 this year.

I mean a gaming device with 4.7 screen would be a dream because this time it seems they will actually increase the width of the device as well. Although, im off the ipod touch market already. They just too pricey for what it gives. Some think its worthed.

I prefer real handheld gaming. It not the Touch fault but developer make too many freemium games and i hated them.

8. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

You are misinformed - you need neither a service plan nor iTunes to use an iPhone.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Apple is releasing a lot this fall so it looks like it will be spring 2015 if at all. This is supported by the lack of any Touch 6 leaks.

The sad thing is people were looking at specs for the Touch 5 rather than how it actually performed. The Touch 5 was a 100% improvement over the Touch 4 and, if more people replaced their Touch 4 with a Touch 5 instead of waiting for the Touch 6, we might have had the Touch 6 this fall. The Touch 5 runs IOS 7.1 great but who knows how well IOS 8 will run.

If you don't see the Touch 6 by spring 2015, the Touch is probably being canceled.

10. itjw macrumors 65816

I wouldn't be surprised if they get on a 2 year, launch a new one alongside (or close to) the new iPhone schedule. That way, they can get a new batch of owners who either don't want or don't need a new iPhone, but still may want a bit of a gimped version of one (I say that as an owner of 3 myself, so I don't mean that any way but accurately). It would be cool if the new one was a similar spec of the 5th gen but in relation to the iPhone 6 instead of 5 (i.e. a 4.7-5whatever" screen, A6 (7 maybe), Gig of Ram, maybe even TouchID).

It'd be a worthy upgrade, not cannabalize sales, and still be doable with parts in production (or ramping down).

We'll see, but I'd bet on a refresh in the fall. It just doesn't hurt enough products they make to not be released because they have too much other stuff launching. It's a niche product now. No biggie.

11. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The issue is not that it hurts other products but, that they can't handle the Touch 6 launch on top of the huge list of products they are releasing.

12. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I don't think the touch is a product that gets millions of sales at launch, I think it's a product that gets more sales around the holidays because people buy them as gifts. It would make sense for Apple to release before the holidays for this reason rather than in the spring.

If I intend to use the iPhone without the phone and just use wifi then I may as well stick with the touch. Unlike the 4th gen touch, the 5th gen is performing perfectly after almost 2 years. Hopefully iOS 8 does not change that.

Unless they do something weird and gimp the touch like removing the camera ( as they did with the 16gb model)..

13. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

at WWDC Apple was touting still great sales of Ipod Touch's I don't think its a market they are ready to walk away from I think we'll see a 6g just who knows when

I have a 16gb 5g, since I plan to get a 128gb Iphone 6 I'm not going to bother with one, but I hope they make it

14. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

It looked like a giant number, but it was way less sold than the iPad, which was released almost three years later. Let alone the iPhone sales number.

15. jonblatho macrumors 6502

jonblatho

True. At the same time, though, I'd say the iPod touch is something of a niche iOS device. Its main market seems to be people who can't get an iPhone.

As an example, I had an iPod touch as my foot in the door of iOS from 2009 to 2013, when my carrier got its first iPhones. iPod touch is also a great product for children whose parents aren't quite ready to trust them with a smartphone yet. I'm sure there are some other use cases that justify buying an iPod touch over an iPhone.

16. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure the 6th gen is coming out in September SO WAIT. This shouldn't surprise anyone. The 4th gen was around for two years before the 5th gen and now this fall the 6th gen would be right on schedule. The A5 is getting too old now.

17. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It would be right on schedule except
    1) No analyst rumors or leaks at all about the Touch 6 this fall. If it does come out this fall, it will be the first Apple item in many years not to be leaked.
    2) With the expected iPad, iPhone, iWatch, and Mac releases this fall, they don't have time for the Touch 6.

Expect the Touch 6 this spring if at all.

Note - I would love a Touch 6 this fall. Also, the A5 in the Touch 5 runs IOS 7.1 very well and I expect it to run IOS 8 well.

----------

Everyone I know with a Touch, could get an iPhone if they wanted but they don't.

18. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

Another reason is because maybe people want to play games and listen to music without draining the battery on their phone. A phone is useless with a drained battery and the batteries drain so fast these days.

Most people I know with a touch cannot afford an iPhone. Here in NY state the taxes are insane on a cell phone bill and anyone who wants to start a plan now is going to spend well over $100 a month on an iPhone plan trust me I have shopped for phone plans and it's truly disgusting how much the carriers are ripping us off here. Taxes literately make up $20-30 of the bill per month Most people in my area cannot Afford to blow that much money on a phone plan when there are cheaper options available.

19. Ffosse, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

Ffosse macrumors 6502a

So why drain the battery on a second device? Why have a phone and another device for those battery-intensive purposes?

That doesn't even begin to make sense.

On my iPhone - which I bought outright and unlocked - I pay £15 a month pre-paid for all-you-can-eat data, most months I use close to 100gbs, 300 minutes and unlimited texts, so not exepensive. One can buy an iPhone and just not bother buying a cell-phone plan at all.

America isn't everywhere.

20. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I think what he is saying is that if he just had an iPhone, he would be unable to use it for phone calls because the battery would be dead from it's other uses. As far as buying an iPhone and using it as a Touch, in general you can buy two Touch for the price of one iPhone (unsubsidized).

21. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

Well I can't exactly change where I live and what the carriers charge for phones based solely on phone prices....

You could also buy an external battery pack, which I have one that sits on the back of the device for my gen 5 touch and I may end up going with just that instead of a new touch depending on how things play out.

22. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

$30 in NY taxes on a $100 monthly plan?? Don't think so! Your anti-tax ideology is showing through there! :). [I've lived in NY and the taxes, while higher than in many states, are not that high--(30%?!)--and, we gets lots of good services for them!]

Furthermore, one can can buy an iPhone (e.g., inexpensive used even) and set it up as a Go Phone--no contract, and as low as $9 a month with little in taxes! Try it sometime; you might like it!