iPod Touch 8GB + Earphones with mic.. will it work?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by NSK123, Jun 6, 2010.

1. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

Hi guys.

I'm a little confused here, i've been an iPhone user for a long time and i'm getting an iPod touch for my girlfriend so she can use it on skype.

Is it true that the current 8GB iPod Touch is actually the second generation model? and the 32/64gb versions are 3rd gen models?

My reason for asking is that i'm thinking of buying her the 8GB Touch + Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic to use with skype.. has anyone tried this and how was it? Does it even work?

These are the Earbuds i'm looking to buy with the 8GB iPod Touch model... Apparently the only support the 2nd Gen Touch so if anyone can clarify whether or not the 8GB version is a 2nd Gen then i'd be psyched.
    http://store.apple.com/dk/product/MB770G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Ng&mco=MTA4NTA2ODU

Thanks.

2. Kieranic Guest

I can answer one thing. 8GB IS 2nd Generation. 32 and 64 are the only third generations :)

3. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

The current 8GB model does retain the 2nd gen hardware.

Using it with a headset/mic will work for Skype and other recording.

However, the 2G hardware doesn't support the VoiceOver (voice command) feature that the true 3G hardware does.

4. NSK123 thread starter macrumors regular

NSK123

Thanks, Perfect guys... i'm gonna go buy an iPod Touch today then :p

VoiceOver isn't that important, she just need it to do long distance calling dirtcheap with skype.

5. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Technically the 8gb is third gen, but its just the name, other than that theres no difference.