iPod Touch 9/9/09 thought

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by scottasu, Sep 3, 2009.

1. scottasu macrumors newbie

What if the iPod Touch upgrade contained a front facing camera? Nobdy ever thinks about this for the Touch, but it would make sense. At least to me :)

Also, I read that Navigon is coming out with a GPS kit too. It seems unlikely this would happen if the Touch was going to include a GPS radio.

Anyway just some passing thoughts. I hope everybody is having a good day.

2. celticpride678

I think that Apple would try the front-facing camera on the iPhone first, and that won't happen for a few more years probably.

I don't see the iPod touch having a GPS Radio, because that makes it even closer to the iPhone 3GS.

3. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Agree +1 :D

"if the iphone hasn't done it, the ipod touch hasn't done it!"

4. m.a.c.b.o.y macrumors member

although apple did introduce the wireless iTunes music store on the iPod touch before it was on the iPhone. just thought i would through that in there.

5. bigm978 macrumors member

But apple could add it to the iphone through a software update. Im pretty sure they cant add a front facing camera through a software update:p

6. dark-saito macrumors regular

Bite.
    Your.
    Tongue.

Like one poster mentioned, wireless store was iPod first. As was the faster processor. And Nike+. Volume Control.

7. MacStu09 macrumors regular

Well, when you think about it, the ipod touch is bound to get something the iphone doesnt have eventually. Apple knows people will get bored if the ipod touch lags behind always, so its more than likely it will get at least one feature the iphone doesn't have to boost its sales/popularity.

8. dark-saito macrumors regular

Neither can you add a faster processor, or a 3 ring audio jack via software update. I understand your point, but that isn't totally valid :\

9. Wishsong macrumors regular

But if the ipod touch was better in some aspects over the Iphone, they lose money off the iphone (which is arguably the main thing Apple is trying to sell).

10. dark-saito macrumors regular

I seriously don't understand that logic. Apple is not an 'iPhone company,' it's a consumer electronics company. It's trying to sell all it makes. Making the iPod touch better in some aspects increases their sales in the mp3 players department which is a totally different market from the cellular phone market. Just because they share the same OS and 'look' does not mean that they are competing against eachother, or that the iPhone will always HAVE to be better than the iPod touch. -points to 2nd gen iPod touch versus the iPhone 3G-

11. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

There are things (only a few) that Apple will allow iPod Touch to have something before iPhone does, but IMO the front facing camera will not be one of them.

At this point, I will be more than happy to have a new 3G iPod Touch that is really iPhone 3GS minus Phone. If not, I hope that the camera can do video... at least.

12. Silencer macrumors member

Silencer

I wish Apple will add more differences between the iPod Touch and iPhone besides the Flash memory. They can make them even more if they wanted to.

13. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Creative Zii Egg. Front facing camera. Been there, done that. Apple likes to think of themselves as leading the way. Too late for that.

14. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Built in Cameras - Video/Pictures
    Faster Speed
    Same look

15. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

I don't see the point of the iPod touch having a front-facing camera. What would you use it for? Skype-to-Skype video calls?

Anything the iPhone doesn't have, hardware wise and excluding a faster processor, the iPod touch will not have before it.

16. Wishsong macrumors regular

Well what would you rather sell, an ipod that is a one time deal, or an iphone that includes a 2 year contract + the 200 dollars up front for the phone itself? And with a larger base of iphone users attracts more app developers.

17. dark-saito macrumors regular

Apple no longer gets any of the monthly bill from any iPhone customers and when the iPhone sells at $200-300 even though it's retail value is $599-699, Apple gets less than full price.

It would be stupid to believe that the iPod touch sells more than the iPhone. I completely understand that. But that is one of the reasons Apple is working to make the iPod touch more appealing to those who don't feel like committing to two years.

Btw, iPod touch isn't a one time deal... I recall paying $20 for 2.0 and $10 for 3.0.