iPod touch a probable explanation for the negative black issue

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ravenfire, Sep 17, 2007.

1. ravenfire macrumors member

Not sure if this has been posted here, but it was from the apple forums, there currently down at the moment. Someone from Digg copied and pasted it, so here you go. I hope it helps.

"I'm an engineer with experience in the LCD industry and after seeing enough photos of the Ipod Touch I feel that I can make a pretty accurate assessment of the "black level" situation. It appears to me that it's a problem with the anti-reflective coating. The good news is this is most likely a temporary situation due to quality control issues.

(Added explanation: The AR coating is essentially a clear layer that prevents light from reflecting off of that surface. What's happening here is the upper glass layer is reflecting light from the LCD screen back down onto the said screen. Without an AR coating you get exactly what you see - shimmering blacks. The problem isn't noticeable with vibrant colors on screen. Rotating the screen will change the way this light is reflected to your eyes and may minimize the problem, but since the LCD was engineered to give best color output when looking straight on, you're left with a losing battle.)

Apple surely rushed the factory on getting these out (Steve was likely already upset enough that they weren't ready for the announcement along with the other units) and the factory, under undoubtedly ridiculous amounts of pressure, started to skimp on this very expensive - and very important - part of the process. Additionally, AR coating issues would also explain why you see "slight changes" from one unit to the next.

It's the last thing anyone wants to hear, but the best thing to do is wait 2 weeks or even a month for the complaints to filter through Apple HQ into the factory where changes will certainly be made.

Good luck all - and to those who got good units congrats!"
    Posted by: drvelocity

2. MeWhOeLsE macrumors member

Saw this on apple discussion... what I hope has happened is that they've noticed this at the factory (I mean some of the more serious cases can't really be missed!)

But due to teh pressure apple will be putting on them they've lowered the QC just to get units out. I have no doubt that this is indirectly related to pressure put on them by apple. So hopefully things are already being adjusted to stop this.

Again... this is JUST MY OPINION

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yep. The fact you had to "tilt" the screen to get it to look right pointed to LCD screen coatings.

The Touch is a great device. The ones I saw at the Apple Store didn't exhibit the problem at all. Too bad it was plagued with this issue, as well as "lack of" and "disabled" apps....

4. ravenfire thread starter macrumors member

Well if what this guy is saying is true, then it is good news. At least it would indicate the 3.5" lcd screen is not the issue. But simply a Q/A issue with the AR coating. I think I am going to hold off on my purchase for another month or so and wait for Apple to get this cleared up.

5. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Missing apps is fixable.. crashing Safari is fixable.. People aren't really complaining about the software because it's a short term problem. Screen (and audio) you'll have to live with for the lifetime of the device, so it's obviously something that needs to be right from day 1.

6. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Missing apps is fixable.. crashing Safari is fixable.. People aren't really complaining about the software because it's a short term problem. Screen (and audio) you'll have to live with for the lifetime of the device, so it's obviously something that needs to be right from day 1.

Whether the device itself is 'plagued' is a matter of sharp disagreement on these forums. It's certainly generated a whole heap of bad publicity both for apple and for the device itself... and I don't see how apple can not react (a product recall would be even worse for them, but a stock recall.. that's routine because it can be done under the radar).

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

It's plagued - but plagues do pass...

8. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Ya I posted this yesterday along with a link to the post in the Apple support forums.

:)

9. ravenfire thread starter macrumors member

I figured someone might have, I did try searching for it but I did not find your thread. I am new to this forum and in unfamiliar territory. (PC Guy :)

10. DsurioN macrumors regular

DsurioN

11. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

??? Pretty much every thread in here is some variation of "the screen sucks," and contains a reference by now to the anti-reflective issue (although no one has *confirmed* that's the problem). As the issue goes away, so will the angry threads. No need for a sticky...

12. ravenfire thread starter macrumors member

13. ravenfire thread starter macrumors member

If its a legitimate Q/A issue it should be addressed, I am sure Apple will in due time. I view all these threads as informative and useful, and not angry.

14. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Or maybe if we ignore the issue, Apple wil ignore us?

15. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

People are angry, and are justified if they're angry - nothing wrong with that, and didn't mean to imply otherwise.

You miss my point - why sticky one speculative thread, when 9/10ths of threads in here are all about the screen issue? This whole forum is one giant, "some screens are bad" sticky. And as the issue is resolved by Apple (or not), those threads will drop off (or not) in proportion to the response.

16. ravenfire thread starter macrumors member

Thats cool, I just appreciate the open forum and the discussion.

17. robPOD macrumors 6502

bump i agree this needs to be stickied, it makes perfecct sense