ipod touch ac charger

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by shakir, Mar 10, 2008.

1. shakir macrumors member

is the charger from apple the same as anywhere else? i see apple selling the ac charger for 49 or 59 dollars but i can get it for less than 10 bucks. is there a specific voltage requirement or any charger would do?

2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

It might be a third party one. I purchased one for £4.99. Does it look fancy? No. But it does the job.

3. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Make sure that it has the same 30-pin connector on the bottom, and you should be fine.

4. shakir thread starter macrumors member

ok, thank u very much. btw, my safari has been acting up lately. the usual can't find the server problem. i tried every solution there is that i can find but the most it can do is give me an hour or 2 of surfing before it can't find the server again. any permanent solution? i read somewhere that it's the 1.1.4 firmware that's causing this.

5. Tyris macrumors newbie

Good lord. $60 for an ac adapter? Anyone who buys this is an absolute idiot.

I got one for my ipod for under $5 at pchcables.com

-T

6. agargar macrumors member

Mine doesn't work!!

I have already bougth two tird party ones and they doesn't work with my Ipod Touch...
    The output specs are the following:

1. DC 5.25V, 500mA.

2. DC 5V, 1000mA

I've tested both with a PDA and they work!

Any idea why it doesn't work with my Itouch?

7. Resist macrumors 68030

Come on people, obviously you have to make sure the output voltage and amps provide what the iPod Touch require to charge.

8. agargar macrumors member

Hey, that is why I wrote the specs of my chargers!
    They are OK!

E.g. the original Ipod charger has 5V, 100mA, i.e. identical to one of mine. Nevertheless, I'm going to measure by my self the outputs tonight...

I thougth, perhaps the Ipod just checks that it is a "real" USB using the connections protocol and the original chargers somehow simulates the connection protocol of the USB...
    But I doubt that the cheap ones that the people here are using implements that...

9. Tyris macrumors newbie

Apple in their infinite stupidity and desire for "lock in" sends a few bytes of data to the ipod before it starts charging. This is why you cannot charge it on windows without apple's software.

Thankfully the linux kernel is aware of this junk and sends the wake-up string to the usb as needed.

And, yes, I have one of the $5 chargers for my ipod touch. It is made in china. Same place as the "original" apple charger for an amazing $60. Probably the same damn factory. And yes, it charges the touch just fine.

-T

10. agargar macrumors member

Hi,
    thanks to the information I found in touchmods (where they show how to use 6 AA batteries to charge the Ipod), I managed to adapt my charger :)

When connected to a charger (i.e. no respond to the USB connection protocol), the Ipod just checks that about 2.4V are present at the data pins (the ones on the middle of the four USB pins) for going into charging mode. Both of my chargers had those pins floating. So that I opened my charger, put a 80 Kohm resistor between the 5V pin and the middle ones and a 66 Kohm resistor from there to the ground connection and It works now:D

It seems, there are cheap chargers that already do that.

11. pvtmatter macrumors newbie

I just bought a 1 amp max from HandHeldItems through Google. Including shipping it was only $7.95 and it works great!

12. agargar macrumors member