iPod Touch accesses e-mail via Mail in locked/restricted wifi networks. Glitch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JDR, Jul 28, 2008.

1. JDR macrumors regular

Hi all,

I recently acquired an 8GB iPod Touch (version 1.1.4 with Software Upgrade) for free with the Back To School promotion with my new MBP. In the time I've had it, I've noticed an interesting glitch on my iPod Touch in regards to the Mail application (hooked up to Gmail). I was visiting Montreal about a month ago, and the hotel I was staying at offered wifi throughout the hotel, though once on it, any website redirected to the hotel's wifi start page where you would enter an ID and PIN number (costs $$$) and after that you're free to roam the web. On my iPod Touch, I joined the hotel's network, and after realizing that I had to pay to get on the internet, I said 'forget it' and went to listen to music. A few minutes later, I heard the familiar 'ping' of a new e-mail from the Mail application. Lo and behold, I had received an e-mail. To make sure the e-mail hadn't been delayed in arriving for some reason or another, I wrote an e-mail to a friend from the hotel, and he wrote me back a few minutes later. This all suggests that my iPod has found a loophole around the restricted wifi and accessed my e-mail account, fully operable.

This has happened a couple of more times, in walking around downtown Montreal, downtown Chicago, and my own suburban neighborhood. Each time, wifi has been on "ask to join networks", but miraculously e-mail still manages to arrive on my iPod Touch, without any specific network chosen.

I apologize if this is already known and I've just wasted 10 minutes, but I searched and nothing came up. So, is this only a special glitch with my iPod Touch, or have others experienced it?

Regards,
    JDR

2. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

whoa. interesting. I may have to try this out XD

3. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

That is definitely interesting! Are you working through MobileMe, perhaps?

4. JDR thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. My Mail is just hooked up to my Gmail account.

5. Grentz macrumors newbie

Sounds like the Hotels access point/hotspot software is only worrying about Port 80 (web) or just a few ports and not the one that email is using (which is different than web).

Probably would work on your laptop/computer as well, it is just a poorly done hotspot.

6. poolish macrumors regular

maybe only port 80 or http ports on those wifi networks redirects to the login page. mail uses different ports. only thing I can think of anyway

edit: grentz beat me to it

7. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

It happened to me also. I was checking for wifi around me, but everything was secure. I left my iPod touch for 7 hours and I had gotten an email

8. -N34 macrumors newbie

Cool I may have try this out at school. All my other friends have an Ipod touch an all.