iPod touch ad 'BIG hit'

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Prof., Nov 11, 2007.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

"The crafty folks who work on Apple's commercial campaigns have done it again. After creating a smashing success with Feist and the iPod Nano ads, buzz on the new iPod Touch commercial is busting out all over." Writes, Eric Gunther of Yahoo Buzz

Read the full story HERE:
    http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/78111/music-is-my-boyfriend

2. criticalmiracle macrumors newbie

criticalmiracle

edit: love me some Apple ads

3. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Yeah, I think the ad really works. I hope that kid got PAID. Perfect choice of music, and excellent editting.

~ CB

4. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

even though I think the actual commercial is OK, I really like it because it reminds my friends that I have a ****ing iPod touch!:p hahaha

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I love the iPod Touch commercial! Whenever it comes on I turn my attention to the TV and turn it up, even though I've already got the song in my iTunes library :p

6. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Just for reference:

Apple's version of the commercial:
    http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ads/

Nick Haley's original version that got their attention:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQUZPqDZb0

NOTE: Obvious differences: Better production compositing in the real commercial. At the end of the real commercial, Apple did not think it was necessary to show the flash drive sizes available (especially considering the current sizes available on the normal iPod).

Music is My Hot, Hot Sex on iTunes:
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/...bum?playlistId=162252578&s=143441&i=162253040

~ CB

7. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

The funniest bit is that a Microsoft commercial used the same music, but no one noticed at the time or paid much attention:

“Ballad of Lion and Gazelle”

Having seen it you won't wonder why. What on earth were they smoking to come up with that?

8. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

WOW!!! That has got to be the most mind-blowingly misguided advertising I've ever seen. Not only does the animation suck, but the flow of the "story" is horribly bad taste (no pun intended). It's no wonder they switched campaigns from "Welcome to the Social" to "You Make it You"... although, this new switch hasn't helped either. Witness Zune 2's new commercial:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2007/11/02/you-make-it-you-first-zune-2-ad/
    One commenter summed up the new commercial (shown at the link above) perfectly when he said:
    ~ CB

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I liked "Welcome to the Social" as a slogan, I thought it could have taken off, the problem was that the Zune's “Social” features weren't that great.

10. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

They did change the word "Sex" in the song to "Bath," at least in the closed-captioning.

11. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Decent ad, but un-Apple like.

They rarely move so fast, and really on a 61 inch HDTV the blinking white parts are extremely annoying.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

As an Englishman, I always smile when I see that tag line - for anyone who doesn't know, in the UK, "The Social" is slang for unemployment benefit, so "Welcome to the Social" sounds like something you'd say to someone who'd just been sacked :D

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That looks like a company who are trying far to hard to appeal to a younger audience, and failing miserably

14. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

LOL. That's hilarious!

~ CB

15. planetbeing macrumors member

Well, that's a real line in the lyrics:

Music is my hot, hot bath / Music is my hot, hot sex

The ad is quite good for something self-produced (as it was), but I think Apple should've changed it more to make it less seizure inducing. I quite like the song though.

16. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Am I the only one who has no clue what's happening in the commercial? I don't get it!! Why's that lion constantly eating the poor goat's arm? Is there a point to it? That you can operate a Zune with one arm? That you can even transmit songs between people that you hate? Maybe I'm just stupid at interpretation... :confused:.

The second one is a little less confusing but still weird. What's with the energizer bunnies? That commercial would work much better for a travel agency than a mp3 player. And why's the girl touching the Zune's screen? It's not a touch screen!

17. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

It's obvious :rolleyes::

People who buy a Zunes practice cannibalism.
    :eek:

18. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Don't squirt to strangers

The point of the Video is this: You can do all this cool stuff with your Zune, but you will have a giant Lion constantly following you around featsing on you appendages. ;)
    either this, or there is a new meat flavored Zune comming out :eek:

19. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

adverts...

i'm on the side of the fence that thinks the new ipod adverts showing the smug youth with the blundering pc are young and silly but the new touch advert is clever and short. after watching that zune spot... what a long bit of croc that is. the newer one is slightly better but why oh why show so much touching? it hasn't anything to do with the product really and anything could be substituted into the product instead of a pmp. it could be a car etc.

the touch ad is brilliant and that 18 year old is far wiser than his years, or perhaps that is why he is so wise: not yet a crusty who will create that zune rubbish.

mind you, the zune is a good pmp, but the advert is rubbish beyond what i would have imagined.