ipod Touch after July 11th?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by yish, Jun 14, 2008.

1. yish macrumors newbie

This may be a stupid question, but if I buy an ipod touch after July 11th, the 2.0 software should be already on it correct??

2. only macrumors regular

possibly. but i'm not sure and wouldn't be at all surprised if it weren't. hope this helps haha

3. illidian macrumors 6502

If the same procedure as the JSU is followed, either it will already be pre-loaded, or will be discounted $10 to off-set the difference.

4. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

if you buy it from a big box store, probably not right away. but from apple, yes. also, if you buy it on or after, you'll get a free upgrade from apple anyways.

5. only macrumors regular

i was curious too but, has there been anything official from Apple regarding this? or just speculation based on prior behaviour? sometimes it's difficult to tell here.

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

We're being very backwards-looking here. I don't see how it would be different this time, though. The $10 thing is really for people who bought their IPT a while back.

7. only macrumors regular

ahh ok thanks.. i was debating with myself whether or not to purchase one now or later, but yeah it's only $10.

8. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it will be included for free after July 11th. Apple wants to sell lots of software though the app store.

Greg

9. dn21 macrumors newbie

then the buyers guide Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle does that mean the cycle gets renewed july11

10. bstreiff macrumors regular

Yes, the iPod touch will likely get the 2.0 firmware on the 11th; that doesn't necessarily mean that the iPod touch will receive any other updates, though.

The 'update cycle' thing was last updated in February for higher-capacity models of the iPod touch-- not for firmware 1.1.4. It's unclear whether the 11th will be the end of a cycle or not.

11. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I purchased my touch after the januar updates from an apple store and it didnt have the updates installed. It all depends.

12. bcode macrumors newbie

bcode

Though it hasn't been announced just yet, I believe there will be a smaller form factor Touch out for the back to school rush... nearing the end of the summer.

2.8 inch iPod Touch form-factors have been manufactured and photographed, and since the iPhone was not released with 2 different sizes, it only makes sense that apple is making the touch slightly smaller and more than likely slightly cheaper(maybe $179.00?) than the iPhone.

Even though the iPhone is subsidized from AT&T, consumers won't see the benefit of buying an iPod Touch if it remains more expensive than it's full-featured big brother. Therefore a price-drop is pretty much inevitable, and a hardware update, just as much so.

Look for apple to slowly phase out all click-wheel iPod designs and phase in multi-touch technology where ever possible. Including all models of the iPhone, less the shuffle.