iPod Touch: alternative?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by darxun, Feb 6, 2009.

1. darxun macrumors member

Hi there,

I just read many articels refering to the titel of this thread. Archos, Nokia, TMobile-PDAs and some other stuff was recommended on different forums and homepages.
    But I never read any word about syncronisation. Is there a device which can by synced to iCal, iTunes and Adressbook without any restrictions? My impression was, that there ist not really an iPod touch alternative ragarding that I just plug in the iPod touch, an everything will be done (synced).

PS: I wrecked my iPod touch.:( I bought it in a used condition. Dropping it a few times too much led to a broken display. (One area was white, and the rest was far too light...) Now I'm thinking about an alternative or another iPod Touch.

2. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

I dun really know about gadgets.. and I haven't research any alternatives to ipod touch...

the only reason I am itching to get one (I already bought the protector and pouch b4 the device =.=) is because ipod touch is pretty. Okay, I guess I am very superficial. haha.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If you have a Mac, the Touch is the best option for a device like that. The others require far more fiddling to sync, or may not sync altogether.

4. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

just get the touch. The ipod touch/iphone is THE standard for electronic gadgets. Theres is simply nothing better. My ONLY complaint with my ipod touch is the battery life. Which isnt ALLL that bad. Just not quite good enough.

5. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

my windows mobile based cellular does, but I find myself using my iPod touch more and more, even if my phone can do the job.

6. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Simply put: No.

There is no device on the planet(except the iPhone, of course) which can compete with the simplicity and usability of the OS with multitouch gestures, the incredible speed of Safari, the world' best music & video player with it's 3.5" widescreen and cover flow, and of course, the apps! Over 18000 different apps to choose from.

7. Jethro70 macrumors newbie

I considered a more 'business-like' option, lime Palm or HP, but in the end I went with a 32 gb Touch -- and I think I made the right choice. I can still use it as a PDA, but I get all the other cool features (apps, games, etc.). Right now I'm loving this iThingy! :)

8. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

User interface and simplicity wise, Apple's still got a lead. Other players can't sync seamlessly with Apple apps like the iPod touch do. There are no other media player with multi touch technology (although there are phones), as Apple has a patent on that. I would suggest another iPod touch, as there would be no learning curve and it is the easiest media device to use.

P.S. If you're looking for an alternative because you dropped and broke the screen of your iPod touch, look no further. There is not a single player out there that won't suffer damage, screen or otherwise, if you keep on dropping it. Buy a good case and take care of your gadgets.

9. budkid macrumors regular

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The big question is what you want, isn't it. Other PMP's offer better media options, better quality playback, even direct encoding of video content - etc.

As with anything Apple, the Touch is a great tool if your needs in everything is simplistic, and you want 'an experience'. Other PMP's are in some cases unarguably better at their core jobs, but the 'experience' may not be as good and they don't offer as broad-based a range of functions as the Touch does.

When I'm not listening to music I'm mostly a casual podcast listener / viewer on the move these days, and the iPods address this need probably better than anything else out there. I don't use the contact management or the calendar functions of the Touch, nor the mail facilities beyond the occasional checking of my .Mac account (mostly Apple spam). Neither do I play games. I look at the web on my Sony's. The screen is more salubrious to look at for video podcasts / TV recordings than the Nano / Classic and that is probably the main reason why I have a Touch. Since my needs are so simplistic, the Touch works for me. If I was listening to music more, or viewing videos beyond H.264/MP3 iPod-directed podcasts, I'd likely choose something else.

11. krnguy712 macrumors member

krnguy712

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

[​IMG]