iPod touch an afterthought these days?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bniu, Dec 9, 2013.

1. bniu macrumors 6502a

The latest version of it runs an old A5 chip from 2011, last updated over a year ago, of the four iOS devices, it's the only line that didn't get updated to 64bit A7. I'm guessing iPod touch either doesn't sell that well or it caters to an audience that doesn't demand the latest power?

2. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Personal opinion here,

The game itself might cause the Ipod touch to have poor sale. Too many freemium these days. People buy ipod mainly to play games but if you eventually has to pay 10-20 usd for a game to be fully playable. Why not get a handheld console instead.

3. Danno Bonano macrumors newbie

The iPad micro does what it's supposed to.

I think they should have renamed it the iPad micro. These aren't used much for music anymore (unlike the rest of the iPod line), but rather as gaming machines. As a gaming machine, it's still a better deal than the Sony PSP or the Nintendo DS, since there are lots of free games on the App Store, while the handheld games for the other platforms can be $30 and up in the US.

I think the CPU, though not upgraded, holds the costs down, and still does a good job with IOS7 games. I don't use it very much anymore since I have an iPhone, but my son loves it for games and Instagram.

4. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Never use mine for games (also have an iPad) but always for music, either with ear buds or my JBL Bluetooth speaker. Great for texting and managing my shopping list - many stores are now offering free WiFi and good bargains can be found in-store.

It's much more portable than my iPad so I always carry my Touch. Very handy to have, especially when I have to wait around. We have five in our family and I purchased another one (32G) on Black Friday for a Christmas gift.

The camera is pretty darn good as well. Love both my iPad and my iPT5.

5. Bear macrumors G3

The way I look at it is if the device (iPod touch) in this case does what I want it too. I replaced my third gen iPod touch when I started seeing app upgrades that required iOS 6 of apps I needed to use. It also coincided with it needing a new battery. I expect that the fidth gen I replaced with will be replace when it's about 4 years old.

I don't mind Apple not updating the iPod touch every year as long as it is updated every other year at least.

6. jacquesrk macrumors newbie

I don't mind an update every other year as long as they make an iPod that you can use and upgrade to the latest OS for four years after purchase. I don't want to have to buy a new iPod touch after two years of use.