IPod Touch and 10.3

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nickarmadillo, Jan 7, 2008.

1. nickarmadillo macrumors regular

I recently bough an ipod touch online, but probably should have read the fine print more carefully. After charging the ipod and plugging it in, I was told that it would be unable to sync as it requires OSX version 10.4.1. Needless to say, I felt quite pissed with myself.

My current setup is a dual 2ghz powermac G5 with version 10.3.9, which can support Leopard or Tiger. However, I do not have the cash to purchase a new installation disk. What I do have is a 10.4 disk for a 2.0ghz G5 iMac. Is there any possible way that I can get the iTouch (or the new nano or ipod classic - I may be able to trade the touch) to work with 10.3.9 or to use the iMac installation disk to install 10.4 onto my powermac G5? If not, does anyone have a leopard installation disk for sale for cheap? Thanks.

2. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Hi,

The iMac installation disc you have was designed specifically for that iMac model and as a result will not work on the PowerMac.

3. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Care to explain why it won't work? It's an OS that works on the G5 processor, what is the difference?

I believe it will install just fine, but I would like to know why it won't install from cbrain.

4. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

I've heard a number of times on this forum that discs bundled with a mac are specific to that model and will refuse to work on other models.

5. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

The thing about Apple making both the hardware and the software is that the hardware and software drivers come on the same disc, which means the default OS install on those discs is to install drivers specific to that hardware (i.e. iMac, PowerMac, MBP, etc). So it's not gonna work if (for example) you have a Nvidia graphics card, and it's trying to install drivers for an ATI card.

6. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

so the install disks would work but I might have trouble with drivers? Both have a superdrive and my powermac has a aftermarket graphics card, so I have the drivers for that on a disk.

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, what'll most likely happen is you'll get an error message when you are trying to install saying you cannot install on this machine.

8. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any way that I can get an ipod touch or the new classic/nano to work with 10.3.9? or does anyone have a 1.4 or 10.5 disk for sale?

9. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I really don't get why Apple doesn't just have these iPods work with 10.2+. If Leopard works with a 5-year old Mac, a new iPod should as well. It's not an issue for me since I have a MacBook, but if someone's getting along fine on 10.2 - 10.3, why not just have iPods that work with them? It's not like those OSes are technologically incapable of handling the new iPods, are they?

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its more difficult to code software to work for more OS's and Apple wants to help give you an excuse to upgrade to the latest version of OS X.

11. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

So theres no 3rd party workaround for the ipod 10.3 incompatability yet? You would think people would be up in arms about this. My computer may not be top of the line, but it is in no way obsolete. Apple is really going to be pissing off a lot of mac users with this problem.

12. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

you need to get new operating system, 10.4.1, not a new computer.

why would we mad at apple?

you just need to buck up and buy tiger.

13. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

Bucking up and buying Tiger isn't really an option unless I can get an extremely cheap second-hand copy. I am a student and the purchase of an ipod touch already severely stretched my budget. Paying nearly as much as i did for the ipod to get an operating system for a computer that will be going in about a year and has few features that I will even use does not seem sensible.

14. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

do not take this the wrong way but neither did buying a touch without doing all the research first.

as a student you get discounts on software and you should be able to for a version of tiger.

15. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I was going to recommend checking eBay, as they usually seem to have old Apple OS discs for pretty cheap.

Then I went and actually checked, and they're selling there for more than the OS originally cost new! :eek: :confused:

16. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

Leopard costs 179.99 w/o student discount. With your discount you could get it for 125 or less.

17. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I don't know what currency that is, but regular-priced Leopard costs USD$129. Student discount is maybe $20 off or so.

18. TheDPR macrumors member

Yup. Used Tiger prices are insane right now. I have no idea why other than because that's what they can get for them. Free market economy.

I remember back in the day when OS9 was the latest I got both OS8 and 8.5 CDs for something like 15 bucks.

My suggestion to the OP is to "buy" some Tiger discs from a friend or acquaintance who has them.

Sadly for me, I don't know anyone with a retail version of Tiger. I'd love to borrow a set of full install retail Tiger discs. Just to see what they look like, of course. I'd pay shipping both ways. ;)

19. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Buying an iPod touch as a poor student doesn't seem all that sensible either. Most would consider that a luxury item.

That being said, sorry man, that kinda blows.

What COULD you pay for Tiger?

20. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

People aren't up in arms because most people who can afford an iPod touch have already bought Tiger if not Leopard.

21. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

tiger comes on 1 dvd.

has a big X on it.

i have one sitting right here on my desk.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if you go to your university book store you can get leopard for like 80. just a fyi

23. duckman macrumors newbie

A friend of mine also had 10.3.9 on his computer and he had some trouble with it so he brought it to the apple store and they checked fixed the problem so he took it home and when he turned it on they had put tiger on his computer without charging him

24. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

I know that an ipod touch is a luxury item. That is why the purchase was such a stretch for me. Saved up birthday money and such since I am taking 21 hours at school and do not have the time for a job. I was quite excited to get the touch and now its going to cost me another 100 or so dollars to even use it, which is slightly disheartening. I'm sure there is a significant number of people still running 10.3.9 who are in the same predicament as I. Does anyone know if I can install the single user license version of leopard onto more than one computer? Say, theoretically of course, that I were to borrow a friends install disk and attempt to install it onto my computer, would it allow both of us to run our computers with leopard off the same user license... theoretically;)

25. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Legally? -- Nope.

Theoretically? -- Absolutely.