Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Clarification

I've read all the posts on this thread and I don't think anyone has clearly described how iCloud, the App and iTunes stores, and Apple IDs work.

The key thing to remember is that you can set up a device using one Apple ID for iCloud (syncing, backups, Photo Stream etc.) and a DIFFERENT Apple ID for making purchases in the App Store and iTunes. This makes setting up a device for a child very easy:

1) Create an Apple ID for the child
2) When setting up the new device, use the child's Apple ID. This Apple ID will be the one iCloud account on the device.
3) Once the device is set up, log out of iTunes and the App Store and log back in using your (parent) Apple ID.

Now the child will be using your Apple ID account for downloading content, and his/her own Apple ID account for iCloud syncing and backups. You can go into FaceTime and iMessage settings to make sure that your child's Apple ID is being used for those functions (which they should if you follow steps 1 and 2).

You can prevent your child from purchasing content in iTunes and the App Store in the Restrictions area under Settings on the device.

Brightlands100

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Clarification

Thank you for this reply which as the title says does explain things succinctly. However, the one big stumbling block is 1) Create an Apple ID for the child.

Children under 13 do not qualify for an Apple ID. Aside from lying, how do we overcome this issue?

Nuttz565

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
I've read all the posts on this thread and I don't think anyone has clearly described how iCloud, the App and iTunes stores, and Apple IDs work.

The key thing to remember is that you can set up a device using one Apple ID for iCloud (syncing, backups, Photo Stream etc.) and a DIFFERENT Apple ID for making purchases in the App Store and iTunes. This makes setting up a device for a child very easy:

1) Create an Apple ID for the child
2) When setting up the new device, use the child's Apple ID. This Apple ID will be the one iCloud account on the device.
3) Once the device is set up, log out of iTunes and the App Store and log back in using your (parent) Apple ID.

Now the child will be using your Apple ID account for downloading content, and his/her own Apple ID account for iCloud syncing and backups. You can go into FaceTime and iMessage settings to make sure that your child's Apple ID is being used for those functions (which they should if you follow steps 1 and 2).

You can prevent your child from purchasing content in iTunes and the App Store in the Restrictions area under Settings on the device.

This is the best explination on how to properly set up a iOs device for your child. I got our 9year old a ipad mini for christmas and this was the route I went with when i set it up. Good job on explaining it.

----------

Thank you for this reply which as the title says does explain things succinctly. However, the one big stumbling block is 1) Create an Apple ID for the child.

Children under 13 do not qualify for an Apple ID. Aside from lying, how do we overcome this issue?

As far as i know you cant. I wish it gave the option to set it up for a child differently, maybe some type of limited access account that is controled by the parent or something to that effect.

Randomizer

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2012

I've had the same question. Seems like alot of folks have their kids set up with their own AppleID but nobody ever indicates how they do it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I've had the same question. Seems like alot of folks have their kids set up with their own AppleID but nobody ever indicates how they do it.

It doesn't really matter whether it's their name or not. I set up my brother an Apple ID, and used my name, address, and number. It's just for records. Otherwise he has his name as his iCloud e-mail, and his Game Center as his choice of username.

When he's old enough, it's just going to the Apple ID login on the Apple website itself and changing it.

You could probably call Apple to change the date of birth too.

seclusion

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
I have my daughters ipod set up with her own apple ID for everything but apps.
I log in to mine for apps.
However, I look at her contacts, she has her friends, mom and I and a couple other family.
If she goes to email someone, I type in B, all my contacts show up on her email.
I deleted everything, started over again and again it shows all my email contacts for my work etc. in mail?
Can this be changed?
Thanks
B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.