IPod Touch and Gmail

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Illot, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Illot macrumors newbie

I have set up my gen 4 Ipod touch with gmail. It is working well, except for one glitch. When I use gmail on any of my computers, sent email is received by the addressee as if sent from my main email address. (This is set under "send mail as" in the Accounts and Import tab on gmail settings).

However, when I send email from the Ipod, the sender address is my @gmail address.

Is there some setting on the Ipod that would allow me to send email as if from my main email address.

I did post this query on the gmail forum, but the only response I got suggested posting the query on this forum.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

You'd have to elaborate a bit on this one before I can tell exactly what you're saying, however, it sounds like you want to change the reply to address of messages. There is no way to do this at the moment.

3. PodJack macrumors newbie

I think Mr Slippy is right for the Mail app but maybe you could use the Gmail web app? By that I mean go to gmail on Safari on your iTouch (it will go to the mobile version). I think that's your best hope. :)

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

when you send mail, there is a "from" field. from there, you can choose which smtp to use to send mail. just remember that if you're moblie, not all smtp servers will work depending on the carrier of the wifi connection.

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

6. Illot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input

MrSlippy: Yes, that's right, I would like to change the "reply to" address on emails.

PodJack: I tried accessing gmail from Safari, but I could not see any option for changing the reply to address.

Mr. Kram: I can see no "from" field in my gmail program. This would be a simple solution if it was available, but in the compose email window in gmail (accessed either as an app off my desktop or through Safari) the only fields on the email header are To:, Cc/Bcc, and Subject.

Is your screenshot from a different email program, other than gmail?

TIA

7. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

His screenshot is from the Mail app, but that From bar only displays email accounts you have on your iPod.

8. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

correct, you had to "load" all whatever email account you want as your primary sending account.

9. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Which isn't terribly difficult, even with Hotmail.