Ipod Touch and Internet

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dasouthprince9, Jun 17, 2011.

1. dasouthprince9 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I have a question. So I was in Best Buy about a week ago and this guy had his Iphone. He said he doesn't pay for internet, so I was like how so. He said he has an app that all he pays is $20 for an app and it allows him to get Free Internet or Free Wifi directly to his phone. Anyone know about this or something like this? Also, can this be done on the Ipod Touch as well?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No idea. This doesn't even make sense, as if you are out of range of a WiFi access point, you won't be able to access the internet from your iPod touch in the first place.

4. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Apps can't 'produce' internet so to speak.. I think that guy just played a prank on you :p

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Your friend is either FoS (AKA talking through his hat). or most likely he meant he was using a Tethering app called MyWi (allows internet sharing but you still need an ISP)

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Also, if the guy said he doesn't pay for internet because he bought a $20 app, doesn't that mean he paid for internet? :rolleyes:

7. nickn macrumors 6502

That doesn't make any sense at all. How would something like that even work? I am almost positive that guy was lying.

8. dasouthprince9 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right. Now that I think about it, he said that it's called MyWi...so how does that work?

9. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

MiWi turns your iPhone into a mobile hotspot without having to pay the extra tethering fee that most carriers now require. You would need to jailbreak your device to use it.

I'm guessing what the guy was telling you was that he doesn't pay for at home internet. He just connects his computers to the iPhone hotspot.