iPod Touch and Multiple Computers

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pcinfoman, Feb 21, 2008.

1. pcinfoman macrumors member

I got my iPod Touch and thoroughly love this device.

Question: I am constantly shifting between my computer at home and my computer at the office. is there a way i can hook the itouch with both computers? this way I can my podcast updates from either location?

2. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

not 100% sure, but i think if you are using the same AppleID on both computers, and are logged into iTunes,

i may be completely wrong, but i think this is the case

3. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

I was afraid that when I hook it upto the new computer, it might wipe the itouch. That is the last thing I want.

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It would warn you before it would "wipe" it, but to the main question, I am not entirely sure.

5. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Plug your touch in, click on it in Itunes and hit Manually manage music and videos, then it wont wipe

6. gbross macrumors member

I have an XP machine at work and one at home.

I synch my 32 gig Touch to my Outlook Calendar and Contacts on my work machine.

I synch all my music, videos, podcasts, photos on my home machine.

Works just fine. Nothing gets lost.

Just make sure you click the manually synch box and only click the items you want to synch (i.e., I make sure the music sync is un-checked on my work machine's Itunes and I make sure the contacts and calendar is un-checked on my Itunes at home).

I am running the latest version of Itunes.

What you can't do is mix and match.

My home machine is my dedicated music/media machine. Work is only calendar and contacts. If I download a song on my work machine I cannot add it to my Itunes - THEN IT WILL erase all the music that was synched from my home machine.

7. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

My goal is to have Podcasts synced from multiple machines. Maybe what I need is a means to automatically sync nothing at all and just drag things to my ipod as I want it.

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Manually manage music won't work either because you still have to hit apply. Once you hit apply, it will warn you that the iPod can only be synced with one library and it will ask if you want to sync and erase. There is no way around this, it;s to prevent people from sharing music that they haven't purchased. This is for music only, data such as contacts and calendar can be synced with more than one computer.

9. EdwardsNH macrumors member

That is sooooo not true. Just drag and drop. I do this all the time with music and video.

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I stand by my statement that this does not work, I've tried many times.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Works just fine for me too. I can't imagine why you're having a problem.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

it must be depending upon iTunes version because I can't sync music on multiple computers using manual sync.

13. EdwardsNH macrumors member

No, it's 'cause you are still hitting sync/apply under music.

You need to drag over the music you want, from your library to your iPod, to add individual tracks.

To delete individual tracks/videos, you need to click on music/video under the device, and delete from there.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Exactly. Managing manually means literally that.

15. Resist macrumors 68030

Well if you can't sync to more than one computer then what does one do when their computer dies and you need to buy a new computer?

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

That is an entirely different situation, iTunes asks you if you would like to wipe the iPod, and sync it with the new computer's music as well.

17. Resist macrumors 68030

I see but, what if you want another computer to be the main computer for your music. Can you move all of it to a new computer?

18. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

19. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Is it correct that one iPod Touch can be synched with multiple Macs as long as you set iTunes on each Macs with the option for manually managing?

How about the free apps you've downloaded? If you use the first Mac to download them and synch them up with the iPod Touch and, then, you synch with the second Mac, does that erase the apps from the iPod Touch?

20. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Can you created/edit playlists from multiple computers without anything being wiped out by itunes?

21. sjwolfson macrumors newbie

Syncing the iCal in different computers

I want to be able to only sync the calendars in my iPod Touch with 2 different computers. When I try it, it asks if I want to Replace the info in the iCal or Merge the info. Does anyone know if Merging mean I will get 2 copies of a calendar entry even though it is exactly the same?