Ipod touch and netgear home network

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Stevie Deals, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Stevie Deals macrumors newbie

i have a new ipod touch and a netgear home wifi network and cannot use safari. The network is being detected but safari can't find the servers. what do I need to do?

Steve

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Have you tried a non-apple website?

You may have to allow the MAC address of the touch on the router

3. elitexero macrumors newbie

Depending on your router you should make sure you have DHCP enabled so that the router will assign the touch an ip address. Also make sure you're in range. Many times I'll goto the mall, successfully associate with an access point and it's useless as far as safari. Also check you ip that it's giving you on the itouch (blue right arrow) if it starts with 169.254.*.* there's a problem and DHCP isn't turned on. Any 169.254.*.* is a defaulted address assigned to cards by themselves when there's an issue.

4. RubberShoes macrumors regular

for the prices of routers these days just save yourself a lot of headaches and buy a new router, guaranteed your problem is solved and if its isnt from NetGear, you won't have too many problems ever again (TRUST ME) I've had nothing but problems with NetGear products, starting buying D-Link and Linksys and have never been happier...

5. CEEJ-X macrumors newbie

Hey!
    I'm writing this on my iPod touch at the moment. I only just got my wifi working a few hours ago so I thought I'd help someone!

Basically I had the same problem as you, where my wifi was shown as connected but when I went on wifi etc it couldn't find the server!

First, I tried entering all the wifi info manually on the static part of wifi. To do this I had to go on network connections on the computer and look at the settings for the connection, this listed the ip address and subnet mask etc I then did the same on the laptop and compared them. Anyway, I went on the netgear router page (username: admin password: password) and went on attached devices, I found 2 unknown devices which I knew were my laptop and iPod. I tried connecting, but it didn't work.

Had a nose around help sites and people kept mentioning the wep key. So I went on my router page agaln and i think it was on wireless settings I found the wep key. I then made my iPod forget the network and chose to 'find other' network. On this, I went on security and chose wep and then entered in the wep key number and I came up with all the settings I had put in before and my wifi was working!

6. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

There is a simple solution that can be used, change the dns to a manual set and change it to 4.2.2.2 and it will find the servers. This is a common error with some home routers. I had the same problem and then switch the dns form my routers dns to a open internet dns server and the connection workes quite lovely.

7. Stevie Deals thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers

Guys,

Thanks for the advice, I changed my security from WEP to WAP and all is working

Steve:):)

8. proet macrumors newbie

I just bought my daughter an iPod Touch and want to allow her to access my Netgear home network. I've read the posts here but still have problems getting her device log on. The touch does see the network (great strength), DHCP is on, I've allowed her MAC address, WEP encryption is used on the network, I've input the passphrase onto her Touch but she still cannot connect.

(The router is rather new -draft-n) and switching isn't an option.)

snip>Also check your ip that it's giving you on the itouch (blue right arrow) if it starts with 169.254.*.* there's a problem and DHCP isn't turned on. Any 169.254.*.* is a defaulted address assigned to cards by themselves when there's an issue.<

I don't see a blue right arrow. I can get to DHCP on the Touch but there are no values underneath for IP address, sub net, router, DNS. It allows me to enter a number for DNS but I don't know what to enter, if anything.

I also tried
    snip>I then made my iPod forget the network and chose to 'find other' network. On this, I went on security and chose wep and then entered in the wep key number and I came up with all the settings I had put in before and my wifi was working!<
    I couldn't get this to work.

please help

Thanks,
    p

9. Fiftyplus, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

Fiftyplus macrumors newbie

iPod Touch and Wifi with Netgear WNR3500v2

----

Thx a lot for the tip.

I did the same.
    Used the "passphrase" which can be found under the heading "Wireless settings" in the Netgear managed router environment. Typically this can be accessed by typing 10.0.0.1 in the addresspart of a browser (e.g. internet explorer) and use "admin" for user and the default password "password". These values may be typical for the Netherlands and the provider Ziggo..!?

Use 'find other' (Anders... for the dutch) and type the value of the passphrase for password (wachtwoord)
    For security I choose WEP,
    Success and thanks