iPod touch and open WiFi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Four20, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

no wep, no wpa, straight open. . .anyone had issues?

I hear safari might having some loading problems. . .I'd like to know if this is wifi specific or just a few ipods.

2. halfgoon macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

I've had no problem connecting to open, unlocked wifi networks, if that's what you're talking about. In fact, I'm on one right now!

3. ds252 macrumors regular

I am having this same problem and its getting annoying

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've joined free wifi networks that had all three bars and for some reason, Safari will not load a single page... I didn't really understand it.

5. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A100a Safari/419.3)

I've had that problem. But it seems like changing my location helped. Even though the network had three bars in the old location and two bars where I'm sitting right now. It's really weird.

6. Ratty macrumors 6502

It could be that the site is only allowing recognised MAC addresses to connect.

7. rottstin macrumors newbie

Change DNS server to attach to wifi

I've had this problem and I changed my DNS server IP address to 208.67.222.222

I read about this on another forum. If there are two touches in the house --as there are in mine -- you might make the other number 208.67.220.220

This solved the problem and ours have been working for more than a week.

I have a system which requires a password and the password does not have to be removed as people have suggested. Before I changed server IPs it picked up mine, but it would connect sporadically and was not dependable. This is an OPEN DNS public server that anyone can use.

If you have problems with the v. 1.1.1 update, be sure to check other forums to find out what to do (i.e. you get an error message that will force you to restore all your data).

8. kendo26 macrumors newbie

I didn't have any problems connecting the the Chicago Public Library's free wifi.

9. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

safari cannot locate server

sometimes when I am out i get connections without any problems surfing the web. Other times I find an unlocked service with a couple of bars , I select it, then it is checked marked that I am in. I go to safari, see all blue bars BUT when I try to load a page, it says Safari can't find server. Is there a setting I need to Change when I get this error message.

10. halfgoon macrumors newbie

I've got that 'Safari can't connect to server' message a couple of times - It seems to happen when I'm in an inconvenient place for the wifi, so the touch can see there's a signal, but can't lock in to it. I've pretty much just 'trial & errored' it until I've picked up a strong enough signal. No setting changes necessary.