iPod Touch and Skype - 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen w/ iOS4?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mattspeed3, Jul 9, 2010.

1. mattspeed3 macrumors newbie

For background, I'm going to take advantage of Apple's Free iPod deal for students and upgrade my 5 year old iPod/iBook setup. I'm primarily interested in using the Touch as a cheapo wifi phone.

Specifically regarding Skype, are there any compelling reasons to shell out the extra $100 or so for the 3rd Gen Touch? I'd love to hear anyone's experienced opinion as to whether Skype is practically/usefully operable (I will be on a wifi campus most of the next two years, so connectivity is not an issue) on the 2nd gen if I purchase mic'd earphones, and whether iOS4 adds any benefits to the mix.

I've never owned a Touch before, so when other threads mention issues with sleep and some options to deal with it, I can't really envision workarounds. Ultimately, I guess it would be useful to know which of the two models is most set-up for use with Skype (apart from one coming with a mic).

Thanks!

2. avit macrumors regular

avit

you should actually wait until the new iPod touch is announced early this September. chance are it'll have a mic. But definitely buy the macbook now ;)

3. Nassifer macrumors newbie

same as MattSpeed 3

I did just that then i upgraded to ios 4 and then all hell went loose I can not use the skype app, and now I can not use the ipod for what I wanted to do so till there is a fix I have a paperweight. I want to downgrade to the previous os but do not know how and apple says it will not do it, it is a firmware update.

good luck and keep me posted if you find a work around.

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Paperweight FTW!

1. Go to http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
    2. Download the 3.1.2 file.
    3. Then you can try to upgrade to 3.1.3

5. Mugwumper macrumors regular

Works for me . . .

When I first tried Skype, it gave me a message that said it wasn't supported
    with this version of iOS. But then I tried again, and everything worked fine.

Try restoring the iPod?