ipod touch and sprint mobile broadband

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tcschmit, Jan 31, 2008.

1. tcschmit macrumors newbie

Quick question:

Has anyone or does anyone know if you can hook a sprint mobile broadband card to an iPod Touch so I could access wi-fi, say, in my car??

Obviously there is no slot for a mobile access card, but the new Sprint Ovation U727 uses a USB connection. Is it possible to connect this to an iPod Touch?

Thanks for your response.

2. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

I wouldn't think it would be possible without some hacking. The iPod probably lacks the drivers and such to recognize the device. What you could do, which would be annoying, but would work, is ad-hoc your touch to your laptop, if you have one, then just feed the internet through the laptop to the touch. But that might get annoying...

3. Rotary8 macrumors regular

i have a merlin ex720 for my macbook. I activated internet sharing on it and able to get wifi access through that.

4. tcschmit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys...

I thought about using my laptop, but as said, it would be annoying. I was just curious if there was another way.

5. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

Actually what would be the best and most coolest is if there were a standalone router device that works on sprint with wifi sharing on it so you can use devices like the touch on it. I think i heard of something like that in cars once but it wasn't portable. Think about it we have wifi in a small SD card now. It wouldn't be hard for some manufacture to do a portable cdma or gsm wifi router.

6. bobpott macrumors newbie

It actually should be possible now

Probably not from Sprint but directly from clearwire. If you have an account from them, they have released something called "Personal Hotspot Accessory". It actually does a WiMax to WiFi gateway, given u walk and have it in ur backpack u can have ur WiFi active using it on ur iPod touch. Not only interner but like a city cellphone with no contract if you have skype installed ...

It is all theory as I am not in an area covered by clearwire. If anyone has the spare money and possibility to test it let us know in this thread.

7. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

there is something called mifi. I want to get it but it's too expensive at $60 a month with a 5gb cap :(

8. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

On Leo Laporte's MacBreak Weekly 141, Andy Ihnatko discussed his testing of one and claimed you can by a MIFI outright and only pay as you use it rather than be tied to a monthly plan.

9. theSeaHawk macrumors newbie

If you're willing to pay $400 instead of $99.

10. FieldsRacing53 macrumors newbie

okay, my parents have a sprint mobile broadband aircard and also purchased a sprint wireless router, when the aircard is connected to the router i can search wifi networks on my ipod touch and find the sprint broadband card, but when i go to my internet browser on my ipod touch it automatically redirects me to a sprint page saying
    Administration Login
    Password:

and i called sprint and they don't have any info on this situation and they don't have a sprint masterpassword for their mobile broadband cards and we tried the number on the router and broadband card and our own personal lock password and neither worked and sprint has 1 password inwich i was not told what was for but it did not work either.. if anybody know this password and could give it to me that would be great, i can't use any kind of internet services when connected to my parents sprin broadband card without this password..
    Thanks