Ipod Touch and Vista 64-bit

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kam75, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Kam75 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone -

I'm new here and posting this as a last resort. I recently bought a new computer that has the Windows 64-bit OS installed and I have the 2nd gen Ipod Touch. When I attempt to connect the ipod, iTunes does not recognize it. It is recognized by Windows, but as a digital camera, and even the drivers it installs are for a digital camera. I have uninstalled and re-installed itunes about a dozen times, and I have tried multiple USB ports on my new pc. I spent over an hour on the phone with Apple Support, where at the end of the call, the tech support rep was stumped and said he had to do more research and call me back in a few days.

Is there something I'm overlooking that is causing itunes not to recognize my Ipod? It worked fine on my old pc, which was running Windows XP.

If you have any solutions, please help! Thanks in advance.

2. YodaEXE macrumors member

That's odd, because I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit and my Touch is working just fine. Good luck getting it fixed.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Do you know if "Mobile Device Support" is loaded and running? I think that is the name of the service. Will need check when I get back to my Vista machine.

[​IMG]

4. Kam75 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Apple Mobile Support is running. During all my previous uninstalls, it would not uninstall. Not sure if this has something to do with it. Also, when I got the new pc, I used PCMovers to move everything from the old pc to the new one. Do you think this may have affected iTunes and why it won't recognize my Ipod?

5. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

My touch works fine on my pc maybe your touch is defective.

6. Kam75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, my ipod works fine with my old pc. No connections problems whatsoever.

7. YodaEXE macrumors member

I always recommend to my clients to just reinstall all their programs, and use a flash drive to copy their documents over. Things like PCMovers always cause all kinds of problems. Odds are that is what screwed things up.

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

You need to re-install the support services for this device. There are known issues with the old 32 Bit version of that service. There are a few threads on Apple Support regarding that.

Try to remove and re-install again if possible.

[​IMG]

9. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

iPod Touch gen + Vista Ultimate 64bit, no issues, haven't really done much with it as I have been well occupied with many a hardware change of late, but iTunes install correctly and I was able to synchronize ok as well.

One thing of note, when you go to the iTunes website for the download, be sure it says "iTunes for Xp/Vista 64bit", I don't know how much difference there is, but there is a 64bit version, and I assume they are detecting the OS you are using so if you access the site with say your Windows 32bit machine you will get the normal version.

10. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Sorry forget you mention that already. You have iTunes 8.1 right?

11. Kam75 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have iTunes 8.1. I've uninstalled and re-installed about 12 times within the past week. Isn't the link on the apple website for Vista 64-bit? Or is there another link I need to visit?

12. archi17 macrumors regular

I think it is on the apple website. When you click iTunes, then download now, there is two options to choose from, Vista or Vista 64 bit. See if that helps

13. Kam75 thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked again. It says Vista 64-bit on the iTunes website when I download.

14. Kam75 thread starter macrumors newbie

YodaEXE was correct. The PC Mover caused the issue. Since it is a brand new pc, and there wasn't really anything new on it, I restored it to the factory shipped image and downloaded iTunes directly to the pc. Then I transferred just my music using the PC Mover software. I connected my ipod and it worked just fine. Thanks for all your help!

15. XMarineX macrumors newbie

64 Bit Vistas and ITunes not working

Kam75, I too have vistas 64 bit, and when prompted to update my ipod touch, I lost everything on my ipod. Now when I try to access an Apple site, my browser simply stalls and will not load.
    I have tried to get an answer, but no one has one. I went to apple store, and they have no clue.
    I think it has something to do with the Windows 7 64 bit OS, and now itunes doesn't recognize Vistas 64 bit.....help anyone?

16. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Buy a Mac? Seriously though it seems it took restoring the computer to get it to work.