ipod touch and WiFi=problematic

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cheesecake diva, Jun 2, 2009.

1. cheesecake diva macrumors newbie

Basically I bought an ipod touch 2G from target about a month or two ago (running 2.2.1. firmware), but I just opened it and got it running last thursday (May 28th) because it was a gift.

Everything was going fine until I tried to use the internet. Sometimes Safari will give me the error message, "server stopped responding." It does not occur all the time, but a large portion of the time. I tried resetting the network settings and the errors stopped for maybe 15 mins, but they still occur after 2-10 minutes of browsing. It's just really annoying: I have to usually turn the WiFi off and back on for it to run again, then it will stop again with the same message and I have to reset the WiFi again.

I notice the problem seems to occur more when I try to log in to a website. It is not limited to Safari because it does it on Pandora sometimes after I give a thumbs up to a song. The server error does occur most frequently on the ITrade app. It also happens in the App Store, when I try to search for them. I tried to run my IPod Touch at the local ice rink and I still had the same problem. I also tried it at Panera bread and the same thing basically happened. Also, My Macbook and Toshiba work on the network, and the Dell works connected to the router: that must mean it's not the connection, but rather the touch.

I have basically tried to find a solution to this problem, but I can't really find any that have worked. I am thinking about taking it to the apple store, but the problem is that my WiFi's "freezes" occur at random and I'm not sure the staff would ever see one while dealing with my touch. Even if they do, they might try restoring it and it will work for a short time, but fail when I get home.

Basically, should I take it for repair or take in any other suggestions?

2. pilotrtc macrumors regular

Restart

Have you tried restarting the iPod? Installing new software could wreak havoc with the OS and most apps recommend restarting after installation.

Hold down the button on the top until you see something that says "Slide to power off". Slide it and wait about 10 seconds. Hold down that top button again until you see the Apple logo.

If you've already done that and still have the problem, I'd run to Apple before your 90 days are up.

3. cheesecake diva thread starter macrumors newbie

So I resetted it and the problem still occurs, but is not as often. Still, itrade refuses to work with the wifi (I want to make sure that the wifi problem is not specifically me). Does that app cause any problems to anyone else or is it just my touch?

4. IVIr.S3CR3T macrumors newbie

me too

this has happened to me with both the first gen ipod touch and the second gen ipod touch. i think that the modem might be at fualt because this would also happen on my psp. if you like the ipod touch keep it but know that theirs is no problem with the ipod touch wifi wise. :D

5. agargar macrumors member

I have the same problem!!
    I even restored the ipod but it is still the same!
    Before, I had no problems for connecting to my Wifi all over the house and now it seems that I lose the connection or it gets very slow when I'm not in the same room as the Wifi router!

6. cheesecake diva thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for bumping, but I'd thought I'd give everyone a quick update on my situation :).

I took it to the apple store and the guy did a diagnostic and said there were no problems, except for the fact my apps were crashing a lot. He basically wiped my touch clean (I MEAN APPS, MUSIC, MOVIES, SETTINGS, EVERYTHING) and now the problem still persists. Should I bother taking it back again? or should I hope the 3.0 firmware update will do the trick?

7. pilotrtc macrumors regular

With so many iPods out there that don't have your problem, I don't think a software update will help. I think you should take it back to Apple and tell them you still have the same problem because it sounds like a hardware issue.

8. iOrlando macrumors 68000

you might have tried this but do you have other wireless things that you can test your modem on??? that is the only way to truly know what the problem is. Signs do point to your modem though but I would want to know how other devices act using the modem.