iPod touch & Apple Pay

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bella2v, Dec 26, 2014.

1. bella2v macrumors newbie

Any chance that the iPodTouch will be able to use ApplePay as the iPhone does?

2. Sangoma macrumors member

It doesn't have NFC so I expect the answer is no.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Apple Pay is only supported on iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2, and iPad Mini 3 at this time.

4. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

The OP asked if there is any chance an iPod touch will be able to use Apple Pay.

The answer: Yes, it is a possibility that future iPods may be able to use Apple Pay. But only if Apple releases more iPod touches in the future (their plans for future iPods is not certain at this moment). And such a future iPod touch will need to have a fingerprint ID sensor like current iPhones. And it will also need to have NFC capabilities built-in (which current iPod touch does not have).

It is always a possibility, yes. But there is no guarantee it will happen, since Apple is very secretive about what its future plans for iPod will be. So secretive that even MacRumors has obtained zero clues/rumors about future iPods.

The question has been answered.

5. dilap macrumors 6502a

It hasn't been answered correctly because if you buy an Apple Watchwhen it is released, you can use Apple Pay on an iPhone 5 or later. So it is possible, and apple will only need to supply a software update, to use Apple Pay without a new iPod touch.

6. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Wouldn't the iPod touch need to be connected to the Internet for any ApplePay transaction to go through (and isn't this accomplished by way of the iPhone's always-on internet)? I'm pretty sure it is which is why the AppleWatch gets ApplePay support out of the box (as it is supposed to live most of its life being tethered to a nearby iPhone).

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It can be a security issue to let a transaction go over an unencrypted network even if the actual transaction data is encrypted, good point!

8. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Yeah, I'm gonna go on a limb and say that unless the iPod touch is updated with TouchID (which is a very slim possibility in and of itself), it will not get ApplePay support at all.

9. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

In the Apple keynote for the watch, they said that the iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, 6 and 6+ were compatible with Apple watch. And the only way to get NFC on a device that isn't the 6/6+ (or air 2 or mini 3) is by getting the watch

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'm still holding my breath on this

11. newellj macrumors 601

This. There has been no indication that the Gen 5 Touch will be able to use Apple Pay, even with the Apple Watch.

12. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Oh... I thought the system that Apply Pay is connecting to has an internet connection. For example, you press your IpT against an NFC at a Walgreens or Wells Fargo, and the internet connection is initiated through the kiosk you're at. I guess I thought it's similar to how credit cards work.

13. MacinMan macrumors member

I have the ipod 6th generation and an iphone 6. The ipod has the wallet app on it and my rewards cards show up on the ipod touch just not the credit cards. I know that some devices support in app apple pay and not at the store terminal as lack of NFC and finger print scanner. Also apply may not added official apple pay to the ipod touch because looking at the broad spectrum of users, most aren't old enough to have a credit card or debit card of their own. It may also come down to cost as well. Likewise reversing that same spectrum looking at the iphone most people who own one are old enough to have a bank again, Credit cards etc in their name. Just a couple thoughts to throw up to the thread since i didn't see anyone else point this out :)

14. Teugeus macrumors member

Leave the iPod Touch as it is. Adding Apple pay and touch ID is a slippery slope towards a whole lot of problems.

15. MacinMan macrumors member

Well, I have no reason to need Apple pay on the iPod touch (personally). I mainly got it as a dedicated media player so i can have that separate from the iPhone.

My above post was mainly highlighting possible reasons as to why the iPod won't get apple pay vs why the iPhone and watch have it.