iPod Touch Applecare -- worth it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Collider, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Collider macrumors regular

Hope this isn't a question that hasn't been asked a thousand times; I tried to MRoogle it, but the only recent threads on the subject were more about comparing warranties from different companies, and the one person who'd asked my question didn't get an answer. So, apologies if this has been discussed at length elsewhere and I missed it.

In your opinion, is it worth shelling out £40 (in the UK, if that affects the answer any) to get Applecare for the iPod Touch? My standard year's warranty expires next month, and I figured it was a no-brainer, given the cost, until I realised the extended warranty is only for another one year (having stupidly assumed it would be two, as it is for computers).

I've not had any trouble with my Touch thus far, and the same model now is already about £50 cheaper than it was when I bought it, so I'm wondering if it's worth taking out the extra year's warranty, or more prudent to take my chances that a machine which has been completely problem-free until this point will continue to survive on its own.

So the question I'm asking is, how many of you have taken the extra year's Applecare on your iPod Touch, and how many have actually used it? And, to go one further, for those of you who have used it, what was the service like?

Thanks. :)

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I haven't used it on a Touch - but we did use the warranty on 2 of the 3 Nano's we bought last CHristmas.

They were bought as 3g refurbs, so technically they were a year old in product life when we bought them. The batteries crapped out on them at about the same time - music time was down by about 50%.

It was a no hassle replacement really - i had actually started out by just asking what i should expect at that point from them. The genius took them and just swapped them on the spot.

We didn't end up buying Apple Care for them - it was 1/3 of the cost, and we figured they'd use them till they died and would want new ones anyway (#3 has been replaced with a 5g already because it was lost at a doctors appt). They have MORE than gotten "our" moneys worth out of the original $99 though.

I"ll evaluate my Touch at about the point you are in the year - and financially where i am. Would i be able to replace it without an issue if it died (with an event that was covered), if so, i may not buy it. However, i'm having a funky Touch screen issue and will see how that goes (i'm 6 months away).

I didn't have it on my iPod Video - and didn't have any issues with it until 3+ years. The 1g Nano bought at that same time hasn't had any issues.

So really, for me/us - it comes down my financial state at the time - and do i feel like another "small" investment in the product will make me feel like i've gotten my money's worth out of my initial investment. For me, even just owning my Touch for less than 6 months I feel like i have recouped the cost with the things i've been able to do with it.

ANYWAY.... not sure if that helps at all - but that is the process *I* use to ponder it.

3. thoryamaha919 macrumors member

If your looking to get Applecare might i suggest eBay! It can save you some cash!

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I don't think you'll need it...just take good care of your product :p
    So far, I haven't had the need for applecare, I'll probably sell it when the new iPod Touch comes out ^_^.

5. JAT macrumors 603

I am something like 2-4 weeks from owning my 1G Touch for 2 years, which would be the end of Applecare, had I purchased it. I've had nothing that AC would cover. And apparently I've abused it, as the multiple dents on the edges suggest.

6. Collider thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for your replies!

I think, since people tend to agree on not having had any warranty-fixable issues on their Touches, that I probably will skip the Applecare and take my chances it'll stand the test of time on its own. Notwithstanding a dead battery (and, to be fair, even after almost a year and more cycles than I can count, my Touch battery still holds double the charge that my previous MP3 player was holding after a week), there isn't really anything I can see going so wrong as to justify the cash.

Thank you all again, very helpful! :D

7. ayee007 macrumors member

dont want to bring up a beaten topic but this is my dilemma, my warranty expires in a month and i use it as my lifeline for music, calanders, and it is on 24-7. do you think that the touch will last another 2 years with no issues? i have a case on it and never abuse it but im just nervous how long it will last with my continual use...