Ipod Touch Arrived Today - 16gb - OS question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rexg, Jul 16, 2009.

1. rexg macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

After deciding whether to get an iphone or an ipod touch, i finally got the ipod touch as I am still attached to my nokia E71. :)

Anyway, my ipod arrived in the mail today and i started charging it. Of course Itunes was also excited to set it up. However upon noticing, it said that my firmware needs updating to 3.0. So i clicked on it and wanted me to pay 9.95 for it. That just shocked me because this is a brand new device and my o.s. is now outdated and i have to pay for a new one. does that make sense? so basically this device is 310 dollars instead of 299? :)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The new OS doesn't come preinstalled until new devices are released - usually in Sept.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You don't HAVE to buy it. Somewhat similar to buying a Dell and complaining it doesn't have Vista Premium, rather Vista Basic. 2..2.1 works fine but if you want the new 3.0 features, then you have to pay. It's not outdated, many iPod touch users are still on 2.x firmware. I bought mine recently (2 weeks old maybe?) and I paid the 10 bucks.

4. rexg thread starter macrumors newbie

i see. thanks. that just puzzled me a little bit. i ordered the touch together with a mbp 13. that one i was resigned to pay the snow leopard upgrade. :) oh well... its only 10 bucks anyway. just wanted to clarify on what i was seeing was right.

my last ipod was the ipod 3g 10gb so this one is a huge leap from what im used to. :) ill have something to play with tonight.

5. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Yeah, I wondered about the same thing when I bought mine two weeks ago.

I predict you will spend more time with your Touch than your MBP. ;)