iPod touch as a flash drive?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by linden, Nov 14, 2008.

1. linden macrumors regular

linden

It says on Apple.com that the touch is a flash drive... So how do I store files on it?

Thanks.

--Linden.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

With a program like FileManager, I believe there is a better version made by someone else too...

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

If Apple says it can be used as one, you probably have to check it off in iTunes. It will say something like "use as drive" or something like that. I could be wrong though, I don't know how it works for the iPod Touch.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No, on the Apple website "flash drive" refers to the fact that it uses flash memory to store all the data, it does not necessarily mean it can be used as a portable drive to transfer data between computers. In fact, natively, the iPod touch does not support disk mode, so on an un-jailbroken touch you cannot 'drag and drop' items onto the iPod via Finder/Windows Explorer to store them.

What this happens to be is a misinterpretation of what "flash drive" means.

5. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

The older iPods can be used as flash drives, but none of the iPod touch ever had that capability. 1G iPod Touch was the first iPod that didn't have disk mode. So no, you can't use iPod touch as a flash drive, unless there's some hack around it.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Not by USB connection. But by WiFi, yes. Air Sharing, Files, Briefcase, etc. All these apps let you mount the iPod on the desktop (PC or Mac) and you drag/drop files into it. Takes a little longer than USB speed but it's fine. All the apps also can view the files. Office documents, PDFs, movies, jpegs, png, bmp, etc.

7. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Yeah by Wi-Fi it can easily be done (I reccomend Air Sharing, as it does the job well) but not by USB, to my knowledge anyway. Which kind of sucks, because there are still schools that don't have/use WiFI, so you're very limited.

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

even if there is no wifi around, most computers can start a wifi network for file sharing. in osx u click the airport icon then create network, idk about win.

9. Xavier macrumors 68020

Yup, I have done this a few times. Its nice because it doesn't need to be connected