iPod Touch as a GPS device

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jedisaga, Apr 24, 2008.

1. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

All,

I am currently waiting to see if the ipod touch will drop in price soon. I'm also on the fence about a new version having GPS technology added. Does anyone think this will happen in future versions?

Eric

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I doubt it will happen in the next version, although the new firmware may allow for external GPS add-ons to work.

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

maybe on the iPhone but the ipod Touch is still an ipod and not a phone. chances of gps on the touch would be slim to nil

4. jeffreyfort macrumors member

i think there will be GPS capability. not within the iPod itself, but receiving GPS data from a BT GRS receiver. then the question will be what maps and software will be available to use the GPS data

5. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

the sdk will not have access to the dock connector, so that a no go.

I think that there will be no gps

6. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Thanks! Makes my decision easier... Now, here's hoping for a price drop soon...

7. jeffreyfort macrumors member

I think a GPS receiver or a device that receives the data from a GPS receiver that connects to the iPod's dock connector is in the works. But I am hoping there will be a BT solution.

8. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

That kind of functionality doesn't sound too unreasonable and would be a great update for the hardware. I can see that happening as well, however, current iPod Touch devices may not comply to that change. Ok, now I'm not sure if I should wait again or not... LOL