iPod Touch as a PDA

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 2mnybugs, May 2, 2009.

1. 2mnybugs macrumors newbie

As a newbee to things Apple, I have noted extensive traffic on the iTouch for all the entertainment features.
    I have an iPod and would like a PDA/iPod to replace my Palm Pilot. It seems to have all the apps but I've seen few comments about it.
    Is the Touch as good for calendar and contacts etc as it is for music, pictures, video etc?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yes, it's good for all of those. If you're interested in investing a chunk of change into your iPod as a PDA I would recommend "Things" both the desktop and iPod application.

you can get the apps at CulturedCode.

3. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

I got my Touch to replace a Palm Tungsten and I haven't looked back since.
    I love this device. I tried a couple of free calendar and To Do apps to improve on the calendar included with the Touch. I finally spent the $13 for Pocket Informant which has integrated calendar and To Do list, and I think it's terrific. I've heard some people say that the Touch is not great as a PDA, but I get the feeling that these are people who use a PDA a huge amount for lots of business appointments etc. For my purposes it's perfect, and I also get the benefits of music, podcasts, web browsing and great apps.

4. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

I bought a 4th gen ipod nano as soon as they came out. I also bought a new touch, justifying it to myself as a 'PDA device'.

It does it very well. The built-in apps are great, you can get more apps and games - many of which are free, and the others are cheap, and you can also listen to your iTunes music and watch your videos on it.

Do it. You'll love it :)

5. xtwentyseven macrumors member

I had an old 2003 HP iPAQ that I replaced in November with a Touch. It does all the things I need from it, except that I used to use a pocket Excel spreadsheet for my checkbook. No spreadsheet edits now, but I got an app for that purpose and it works out fine. I use the calendar all the time. Not sure if you have a Mac or PC, but I love the integration of the Calendar, Mail, Contacts, etc. I sync all my info through those programs. I also love how I can mouse-over a date and time in an e-mail message in Mail and it will give a drop down box that allows me to add it to my calendar. A lot of people feel that Mac's Calendar is under-powered, but it suits my needs just fine.