ipod touch as a television remote w/ usb adapter

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by bob81, Sep 16, 2008.

1. bob81 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if it would be possible to create a program that would allow the user to control their television set with the ipod touch? i realize there is no infared sensor on the touch, but say you've got a newer television that has a usb input and used a wireless usb adapter. i think the possibility is there. i wish i had the wherewithall to make something like this as i imagine it would sell.

2. YodaEXE macrumors member

Wouldn't work, plain and simple. To use any USB wireless adapter, you need drivers so the system knows what to do with it. A TV would not have those drivers. Secondly, those USB ports are pretty much solely for the use of updating a firmware, and won't be able to do anything else. And to be honest, I really doubt it would sell. Why use an iPod to do this when you can pick up a $5 universal remote if you're that desperate?

3. Trip.Tucker Guest

Directly controlling the tv or a device connected to the tv?

By the way, there are ir to rf converters on the market so don't lose heart just yet.

4. bob81 thread starter macrumors newbie

hopefully they come up with something. i think it would be a good application. i just got a samsung 750 series and they were giving away free linksticks with the purchase. the tv has the ability to connect to a wireless network and display weather, stock reports, etc. on screen so the television does have the ability to use a wireless network. plus it has a small hard drive with empty space, so you could install drivers for the app. $5 universal remotes are junk anyway.