iPod touch as handset for my 10 year old?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by darthbane2k, Oct 11, 2013.

1. darthbane2k macrumors 6502

Hello.
    I am a long time iPhone user. I am divorced and recently my 9 turning 10 year old has asked for a phone to be able to contact me whenever he wants. He would like an ios device, however I think an iPhone capable of running ios7 would be too fragile and expensive for a child of his age.
    I was considering an iPod touch that runs ios7 that he can FaceTime from. Presumably FaceTime audio will work on it and my son can call via that (most of the important family in his life own iPhones) as well as email / iMessage.

Having no experience with iPods (I have an iPhone 5S), would this be a feasible and reliable option?
    I know he won't be contactable when out, but how often is a 10 year old out and about? He is tech savvy and should easily be able to set up wifi when he is indoors.

I appreciate your thoughts on this..

2. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

I suggest getting a decent case for it, as dropping the iPod touch 5 is very easy.

The 16GB 5th gen has a front facing camera for FaceTime, but no rear facing camera. I would recommend at least the 32GB version if he would like to take any pictures or videos because the 32GB and 64GB versions have a good rear facing camera. It's also good when wanting to show something over FaceTime since he would be able to switch between camera views.

Thoughts?

3. Aucun Express macrumors regular

If most of his contacts (family) are on iOS as well, this is a perfect solution. I myself have an iPod touch and am able to text message my iOS friends anytime I have WiFi (which is most of the time).
    I'd say go for it and buy the 16GB version, which does not cost too much.
    Hope this helps.

4. darthbane2k thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback guys. Am leaning towards the 32GB version as my son is a budding filmmaker and so will find the rear 1080p camera most useful.
    Although I have a feeling Apple will release a 16GB version with camera come the event on the 22nd.

5. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

If they do release a 16gb version with a rear camera, you should have enough time to exchange it.

I don't think they will though. After all, the no rear camera 16GB 5th gen was introduced in May of 2013 for the first time. Apple would not get rid of it that quickly in my opinion, but anything can happen.

6. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Also very worth mentioning to buy it on amazon. 275$ with free shipping. Right now they are out of stock but wait for them to be in stock/ shipped and sold by amazon. Here is a case combo I recommend:
    Tech Armor iPhone 5S / iPhone 5C / iPhone 5 Premium High Definition (HD) Clear Screen Protector [3-Pack] - Retail Packaging
    http://amzn.com/B008THTTUI

Snugg iPod Touch 5th Generation Case / The New iPod Touch Case - Snugg Squared_ Skinny Fit Protective Case Cover- Superior Quality, Non Slip Material, High Protective, Lightweight Case - Lifetime Guarantee (Black) - for Apple iPod Touch 5th Gen/The New iPod - From Snugg, The Creators of the Number 1 selling iPad 2 & 3 Case
    http://amzn.com/B00CTMB7OA

7. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I would also consider a used 4s. About the same price, front/rear cameras, all the same iOS / wifi functions, and if you want it later, prepay options for emergencies.

8. Bear macrumors G3

Unlikely since APple quietly updated the iPod touch colors when they announced the iPhones. If they were intending changes to the iPods this month, they would not have done the color update.

And the likelihood of having to replace the battery. Also, no warranty.

9. mlody macrumors 6502a

Why not buy him a used iPhone? You can get a perfectly fine 3gs for about $100 or 4 for $200 or less.
    I went through a similar situation, but my daughter was only 8 when she got her first phone. We started with a prepaid nokia phone, then switched her to iphone 3gs and now she has 4s.
    I like the fact that she has a phone not a music player because she is always connected and i can imessage her whenever and also see where she is using find my friends app without depending on her to look and find and connect to wifi.

10. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

11. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Definitely grab the 'most' storage you can if he's into shooting the video. It takes up a good chunk of space, and if he's editing and saving those edits along with the original it'll add up quick! I bought my son (8) an iPod Touch--the latest version for Christmas last year. He's taken extremely good care of it, and prefers it out of the case. We take it out of the house in a neoprene sleeve, but he uses the wristband....and it's remarkably scratch free and blemish resistant (it's black!). I'm actually extremely surprised. Other than the occasional 'booger wipe' from the screen (we carry a microfiber cloth)...it's been his favorite 'thing' since. We use iMessage with him and F/T as you're considering (entire extended family including a couple of his cousins)---grandparents and of course, mom and dad;). It's worked very well. The new iTouch is extremely nice---and very quick with an excellent display (in comparison to the generation previous). He's a bit young to be 'in to' video editing but he take plenty of pics and vids---and many turn out pretty damn good! We've been impressed. We also allow him to play games, etc....and some of these new games are pretty big, 1-2GB in some of the RPG/Racing/EA games. (He and I love playing 'Madden' and 'Tiger Woods' as well as several other mulitplayer games together). When necessary, if he needs, he can lock in to my wife or I's LTE signal if he needs connectivity away from home or 'hot spots'.

Interesting---I'm pretty liberal when it comes to electronics for my 8 year old son...but I've yet to see any of the third graders with a 'phone' yet. I go to the classroom twice a month to 'help' out for a couple of hours...and possibly, if they do have them they're safely stashed and turned off during school hours, as I can see it being a good tool if the parents are working odd hours or picking up/dropping off in different areas, etc....but was she in 'company' @ 8 years old with a phone? Or was she in a unique situation?
    I seriously considered this past upgrade (I went 5--->5s, gave the 5 to my wife and sold her 4s) giving him the 4s but after much debate with my wife and considering the situation (I'm home when he gets out of school and my wife is home in the mornings with him to get him to the bus/school), we decided to wait another year or two.
    I'm genuinely curious and honestly HOPE you don't think I'm judging you or your parenting in the least!!! LoL---quite the opposite, I'm actually kind of excited to 'win' the debate with my bride:)

(**We've been married 15 years and it took a while, but hit the jackpot with our son...he's well behaved, participates if five sports that I get to coach two of them in....and excels in the classroom as well as socially. We've only got one and it's always scary----everything you do in life; drive, fish, hunt or open a business...you need a license and can usually find a 'manual'! With one (child), it's a shot it the dark and a bit scary raising them....I don't want to be conservative, I want him to grow up with technology and hence he 'owns' the original iPad, the Touch...and is allowed to play certain Wii, XBox and PS3 games in his spare time or when it's just miserable in Alaska:))

Genuinely curious though about the 'phone'....possibly a thread in the iPhone section would be the way to go though....to the OP, IMHO, you're on the right track!

J

12. kb12252004 macrumors newbie

Can always get a Google Voice number and download Talkatone. Basically turns the ipod touch into an iphone using VIOP. Works pretty well.

----------

I already own a 5th gen touch and to save money, decided to get a mi-fi (Verizon around these parts) to handle the "on-the-go" capability. Can also use Talkatone to SMS text to non-imessage users. $50 per month for the mi-fi service, and can use the data any way I want, including tethering. Has met my needs rather well.

13. mlody macrumors 6502a

I do not want to say we have a very unique situation, but we are a divorced family, so that has its challenges. Our daughter constantly bounces between two households (neither one has a landline phone). She is usually on a bus to and from her school, but on certain days, we have other parents, or grandparents picking her up or dropping her off. She also goes for sleepovers every other week (sometimes on the week days too).

In our opinion, giving her a cell phone was a great idea that everyone liked. We can be in constant communication with her without relying on others to get a hold of her. Her phone is always on silent at school, and she knows to not pull it out and play on it while at school - btw the iphone is locked down so she can only use basic utilities (no safari, no games, no app store, no itunes etc) for communication. I think it is a win-win for everyone in our humble opinion.

14. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

You're an excellent father...and you've made an excellent decision...in my very humble opinion. My apologies---and you're right to put her in a position to have a communications device. An iPhone being so much more is an excellent choice.

Good Luck! Getting the 'iTouch' is a gamble of when and when you don't have WiFi---she'll be relying on that for communication regardless (bus ride, etc), so having the 'phone' itself---even an older model, 4s/5? Paid in full, you're only a hundred or two over the 32GB iPod Touch....and the monthly bill, as I'm sure you're aware sounds most justifiable. My wife and I are together...if we weren't, I'm with you 110%, I'd want to be able to communicate with my son whenever and wherever I choose.

Jer